Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Warped Front Brake Rotor

Quote Originally Posted by mike lowary View Post
    3419, just thinking out loud here. If there were perks of having a floating rotor, I wonder why Erik Buell didn’t just improve on that design instead of doing away with it all together on the ebr bikes. I agree the stock hardware kit does work well on the street when in proper form. However, there is still the issue of the dirt and grime getting in there. Maybe the issue with that outweighed the perks of the floating rotor. Who knows. If the op is getting a new rotor and hardware then I’d get the ebr hardware kit just so there won’t be a problem down the road. Just a thought
    Mike,

So just spitballing this and agreeing to disagree... but mostly agree

Erik could have said "that whole floating rotor dealio is more hassle than what its worth" or realized what looked great on paper didn't work out in real life. Most people tend to just "put gas in and ride it" and don't even think of maintenance until something doesnt work... then they are at the dealer demanding that something be done to fix it for free.

As I understand it, the EBR setup also helped with heat dissipation as well. Its possible that with the performance advancements of the later bikes merited a higher performing brake setup... and/or maybe the EBR setup cost less to procure than the floating setup. Could be a lot of things.

I think the OP would do fine with either kit depending on their expectations. I'd just recommend getting a whole new hardware kit, regardless of which version was chosen. I think buying all the floating parts is now the same price or a little more than the EBR kit. I bought a complete kit of bolts, bushings and springs a few years back, and I remember it being not much less than the EBR kit. I think the EBR kit was unavailable at that point in time, which also swayed the decision.

Plus, like I said previously... disagreeing with Cooter is fun.
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 10-18-2019 at 08:04 PM.

3419, we are definitely on the same page. When I first got my lightning my front brake pulsated so bad I didn’t wanna ride it. I replaced with a new factory buell rotor, xb hardware, and ebc pads. Worked flawlessly. Had that setup for 2 years with zero problems. I upgraded to the Ztl2 caliper, ebr 5mm rotor, ebr hardware, ebc pads, and ebr front master. Only because I wanted to. Obviously this setup works flawlessly also. Definitely agree either hardware kit would be good for op. I can vouch for both. But buy new!!

I think we all agree here (sorry 34:19haha). The stock mounting set-up is fine except for the faults listed, but I do prefer the EBR set up for the reasons listed.

I think you're right. The engineering in the stock XB system was meant to solve a problem they never had (caliper knock-back). So either clean and lube it well, or replace it but ya... new

Hey 34:19, I'm in PHX for the rest of the week... ??

If “free beer Cooter” is in town, i’m in!

Let me know when you’re available.

Did some one say free beer ?

I like beer. Especially free beer. I’m down

ordered new EBC rotor and pads from lunatic fringe.

Perfect. What about a hardware kit? You’ve went this far getting fresh components. Don’t cheap out on hardware. Get a NEW hardware kit. Factory xb or EBR. Also get some fresh brake fluid. This would be a complete over haul. Do it.

You may want to disassemble the caliper and clean the pistons. All of my ZTL calipers have had buildup on the pistons causing them to be sticky. I normally do it without splitting the caliper, just be careful.

Inactive
    "engineers" are typically very odd people. they tend to be argumentative....hyper critical of everything that wasn't graced with their expertise and "golden touch"....and know-it-alls in every conceivable arena one could imagine. they're difficult and stubborn

simply google "buell ZTL brake" and read for yourself what Buell and Hurda et al. were thinking and why they perceived the giant front rotor and perimeter mounting system as a great idea and grand engineering feat.

there is no such thing as "caliper knock-back". there is a very rare track phenomenon known as "pad knock-back". doubt it was a ZTL consideration during development.

the inherent problem and design-parameter flaw that was over-loooked by these guys during development was what i call "wobble"....or "lateral rotor run-out". a basic tenet of a component in rotation is that the further-from-center you go....the greater the chance of wobble or deflection in lateral run-out. when this principle is applied to the giant ZTL rotor, the end result is an eventual pulsing brake lever which annoys the hell out of every motorcyclist i've ever known including myself. approximately 65% of all XB models while under warranty, came back to franchised dealers to address a "pulsing front brake lever"....which cost buell a small fortune. IMO the unique look and perceived benefits were far out-weighed by the real world problems the entire system presented to dealers and privateers doing their own maintenance and repairs. i hate it!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast