Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Xb12 mods advice

Hybrid View

Xb12 mods advice

Should I do the hammer porting on my heads? I want more power and figure heads would be the logical place to start instead of going big bore making the heads even more inefficient at that point. If tuned good what power increase should I expect with free flowing exhaust and air filter?

You have an end result goal in mind? Power number?

I think that also is going to depend on the head porting you had in mind. XB heads are pretty darn good as it is, so you may need to step it up to see gains, some of that "Stage 1" stuff really only applied to older or 883 heads which leave a lot to be desired.

Then you will likely need to upgrade your fueling, exhaust and mapping to take advantage of the free-er flowing heads. IMO, the factory Buell #'s are going to be hard to beat, unless you are going to throw some serious time and $$$ at it.

It may be more worth your while to sell the XB for an 1125/1190 and see some big increases.... stock!

3419 is rite. Building a motor can get extremely expensive. I know that much for sure. If your looking for just some more power then I’d invest in a an open air box lid with a k&n filter and a nice exhaust. Check out Dean Adams on the exhaust. And tuning! Can’t stress this enough. You’d be amazed what a proper tune can do to these bikes. Either pay a pro that knows buells for a dyno tune or do like I did and invest in a dual wideband setup and do it yourself. I learned to tune my buell by sitting on the couch and READING.

I want to tune it myself, bought a couple books. Right now I still don't get some of it

I read this forum, the ecmspy manual and the bad web forum for several weeks before i attempted anything. If you are not confident in what you are doing then don’t do anything. You risk the possibility of completely screwing up your bike. Ask questions about what you don’t understand. You will either get the answers or get pointed in the rite direction of how to get the answers. What books did you purchase?

You may want to contact IDS when you get your mods done and ask for a custom ECM. Or the Buelltooth guy may have a tune for you. I think he shares them for free if you buy his dongle. I haven’t had good luck with him, but I think he’s tight with Cooter, so your probably in good hands if you can get into that club.

I'd say open airbox, good air filter, good muffler (almost any muffler is 98% better than stock and Jardines are known to blow up), with an IDS ECM is by FAR the easiest and most $ to HP you'll get. Anything else and buy a faster bike. IMO.
    You can tune it yourself (I do) but unless you'll be re-inventing a wheel thats been made a million times already. If you want to invest in a WB O2 set-up and a Dyno and 100's of hours, plan on doing it for fun. If that doesn't sound like "fun" to you , Buy one from IDS

It is cheaper to buy a faster bike, But to make a XB run better as above have said, open airbox, K&N air filter, plugs ,good muffler matching tune.

I already have an open airbox, kn filter and slip on with baro and tune from buelltooth. It runs good but I find it hard to believe I can't extract power from a ported head on the bike. Also I have the tuning books from Greg banish

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast