Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What kind of air filter is this?

What kind of air filter is this?

I finally took the plunge and bought an 07 XB12SCG. I'm trying to take inventory of everything already done to it, and have no idea what kind of air filter this is. It appears to be some kind of high-flow aftermarket, but it's not red like the K&N's. It also has a Jardine exhaust, and I'm not sure of the mapping. I want to get a buelltooth and get the correct map on it, but don't know if I still need to buy a K&N, or if I can assume it's good and map it and see how she runs. I just don't want to hurt anything. I went to SDHQ .and it appears to be some off-road company that makes some air filters, but I found no motorcycle filters. I think the previous owner may have worked there, as it's a local company, and it could just be the plexiglas top has the logo and may have nothing to do with the filter.
    IMG_3973.jpg

Looks like a standard k&n with just a custom piece of acrilic over it.

It's not really because it needs to be oiled.

K&N's have "K&N" embossed in small letters on the black plastic rim that surrounds the edge of the filter.

Also, your fuel cap is on backward....

I’m no expert but it looks like a K&N to me.
    Even if it’s a knock off K&N, just go to your local auto parts store and buy a K&N cleaning/recharge kit.

Also looks like your airbox base has been “trimmed” up a bit.

Check the ecm under your seat. If it says “for race use only” it’s an aftermarket race ECM. I have a race ECM on my bike with a K&N filter and Jardine pipe. I also have some engine mods; cams, headwork, 1250kit. Bike runs pretty good with the race ECM. Not perfect but dam near it. I had the K&N, ECM and pipe prior to the engine mods and thought the same thing.

How does your bike run?

My other post was supposed to say it's not red because it needs to be oiled...

Looks like you have either the Race Air Filter or K&N one.
    You also have an open air box modification which looks really cool under a translucent Airbox cover
    Jack-O-Lantern
    2006 Buell XBRS LightningBolt
    http://www.buellxb.com/forum/album.php?albumid=129

Check the oil, check the air pressure in the tires, clean all the grounds off, even if they don't look like they need it, charge the battery, see how she idles and after she's warmed up, take her out for a dance, it might need nothing !

thanks guys! Yeah the airbox does look really cool. only problem is one of the torx bolts on the base is stripped so I haven't taken it off, which I'll need to figure out before cleaning/recharging. Any advice on stripped bolts would be appreciated. I'll plan on just keeping this filter and getting the buelltooth. The ECM does not appear to say Race Use Only, unless I have to take something out to see where it would be stamped. Only issue running I've noticed is a hot start causes a low idle, which I'm hoping will just involve a TPS reset.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast