Thread: CEL won't come on

CEL won't come on

I'm at the point to crank the engine of my new project XB12R. When I turn the key on, the CEL does not light up and it won't crank over. I have gone through the trouble shooting steps in the manual. Ground pin 7 of the instrument Module (39). When I ground this pin the CEL lights up. that is great but the manual says that my ECM is bad.

Question, what would cause the ECM to fail in this manner? The manual only reads, Replace ECM. See
    4.16 ELECTRONIC
    CONTROL MODULE.

No other explanation or other test to determine what caused the ECM flailure.

Has anybody else had this problem and what sub system should I look at so as not to fry a new ECM?

I might have skipped a few steps. Thinking about it now, I need to check the the switch on the control housing. I noticed the harness coming out of it is not zip tied to the housing like the left. There may be a damage connection to the switch or the switch was damaged due to it being a basket case project.
    Please, if anyone has any useful information on this condition share.

Thank you
    Last edited by 45vtwin; 10-24-2019 at 01:13 PM.

Its hard to just jump right in to diagnosis without knowing the path that got you there.
    Before you go looking for a non-CEL light issue, I'd go through the simple system that cranks the bike.

whats resting Battery voltage?
    fuses ok?
    Wiggle and swap around the relays (they are the same)
    Key on, RUN switch on? (needles sweep?)
    Press start button (hear a click?)
    check continuity on the switches in the system that you have. key switch, run switch, clutch switch, side stand switch....

report back with all those answers and if it still doesn't crank, we can get started with diagnosis

Lessons learned
    1) Do not try to trouble shoot anything at 1:00am after a hard days work (at least for me).
    2) Make sure you have a great vantage point and glasses to see how things are put together or going together. Three fuses inserted incorrectly.
    3) Use alligator clips whenever possible while checking fuses or continuity. Missed a Bad fuse while checking (maybe it was wishful thinking)
    3) Try to keep from acting like a little kid at Christmas with your new toy until you have it running. This is my third Buell resurrection, I still get so excited.

Thanks Cooter for the advice.
    Now it is functioning. Next steps, Connect Injectors TPS, etc. fuel. It should start.

IT DID!
    Last edited by 45vtwin; 10-26-2019 at 09:12 PM.

NICE! Congrats on the minor win. I hope the rest is as easy as that

Congrats, You should know after 3!!

Its always the little things...