Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battery died. Anyone using Lithium?

Battery died. Anyone using Lithium?

I've been doing some reading and came across this video. It's a WPS battery. Thoughts? Suggestions?

I have been using one for over a year now, works good and very light.............its installed on a 77 Yamaha XS750, I have two Antigravity's also, one for the Buell & one for the KTM.......
    Last edited by atank; 10-31-2019 at 03:03 PM.

I switched to lithium 3 years ago on my xb12x.
    + Lightweigt, starts the bike easily*, compact, no trickle charging req if -terminal is disconnected over winter.
    - difficult to start bike if below 5 degress celsius*, if an electrical problem occurs and drains the battery completely and kill it.

I use one on my Suzuki, B- King, cranks over the 1340 cc engine easily !

I've always wanted to try this out.

I put the EBR spec Shorai in the STT well over a year ago and it's been perfect. No more "Buell bump"

Inactive
    levan: use caution there. WPS is western power sports and they're a mid-west based distributor with alot of chinese garbage. i'd bank on that battery in the vid being chinese junk. no doubt the "electron kings" will chime in with their assorted expertise but selling and replacing an average of 60-100 batteries a year....i've gotten a feel for battery reliability, cost, performance and longevity. my experience has been: any battery from China is absolute garbage with wildly inflated CCA ratings...Lithiums struggle and often times fail to crank Buell or XR1200 batteries below 50 degrees F especially after sitting overnite in those temps....specific "tender" required....costly compared to Deka.....distributors NEVER back-up their 2 year warranty claims. for the weight difference savings of a single gallon of gasoline i stopped selling/installing them.

aaron: looks like TEABAG nonsense. he failed to mention this BS eventually knocked out both his stator and VR.

I agree with the Lunatic that all batteries are NOT the same. Regardless of Old Skool or New Skool tech, a Buell needs a QUALITY battery

I have had great experiences with both styles of batteries, as long as they are ones that Mr. Pirsig would approve of. RIP.

Lunatic: If your having issues below 50* do what the Li-Ion instructions say and turn on the ignition for 15 seconds or so before cranking. I haven't had any issue at those temps, but that's what they say to do. Shorai sent me a free battery for the EBR just because it had sat for so long, even though it still works well

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    aaron: looks like TEABAG nonsense. he failed to mention this BS eventually knocked out both his stator and VR.
    Oh I'm surprised the stator and VR didnt take out the capacitors. Its an interesting idea/project, but I wouldnt do it to a bike I actually like. Theres a video where he powers a car off that setup as well.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    levan: use caution there. WPS is western power sports and they're a mid-west based distributor with alot of chinese garbage. i'd bank on that battery in the vid being chinese junk. no doubt the "electron kings" will chime in with their assorted expertise but selling and replacing an average of 60-100 batteries a year....i've gotten a feel for battery reliability, cost, performance and longevity. my experience has been: any battery from China is absolute garbage with wildly inflated CCA ratings...Lithiums struggle and often times fail to crank Buell or XR1200 batteries below 50 degrees F especially after sitting overnite in those temps....specific "tender" required....costly compared to Deka.....distributors NEVER back-up their 2 year warranty claims. for the weight difference savings of a single gallon of gasoline i stopped selling/installing them.

Thanks John for your always valued input. So is the Deka what you recommend?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast