Thread: Buying a used XB9SX

Buying a used XB9SX

Anything in particular I should be looking for when buying a used XB9 lightning? I've owned a variety of bikes in my days and this will be my first Buell. It's a 2006 XB9SX. Thanks in advance for the advice.

So, since no one answered you, a lot has to do with milage, mods and how it was ridden. Check the oil, make sure it has a nice color to it and it's not gritty. Check the drive belt for trueness. Check the front engine mount for sagging. Check under the seat to make sure nobody butchered up the wiring. It should start and idle on its own without any throttle, let it warm up before taking it for a test run. If you can get the wheels off the ground, spin the wheels and make sure they spin without any grinding, which would indicate bad bearings. Look up into the top of the engine and see if there is any seeping or leaking oil. I'm sure other people will add to this.

Good luck.

CityX’s are pretty bulletproof. If you get a good vide off of who your buying it from goes a long way. Now here is the simple list.
    1)has the bike been laid down?
    2) look at the rear belt if it has a b or c letter at the end it’s a old belt.. if it’s a h it’s a newer belt
    3) look at the header. If it’s dented look at the front head bolts and feel in the rear to see if exhaust dust is on the inside of the frame. If so it has broken exhaust studs
    4) I always like to check the oil.. if it’s clean check the base gaskets .. I prefer dirty oil.. then I know where I stand
    5) on cityX models the clear/ see through plastic sometimes breaks around the bolt holes
    6) test ride it and bang through the gears.. I will use the clutch for 1st and 2nd then match the rpm and dry shift. This will give you a good idea of what shape the clutch and transmission is in.. 2006 bikes sometimes have bent shift forks from bad clutch adjustments
    7) look behind or stick your hand behind the belt cover and see how much oil comes out on your hand. If they did a breather rerought the oil usually will pool there under the starter.

I know there are more but most is common sense.

Now if the bike has bounced off the ground and the header is flat you need to check two things
    1) front motor mount. They usually will crack in the bolt hole and check behind the front pulley cover. So you need to take it off. And make sure the motor case is not cracked next to the swingarm pivot bolt.

Here's a good thread that covers a lot of points https://www.buellxb.com/forum/showth...B-Buyers-Guide

I've got an '09 XB9SX and love its grumble and torque.
    But make sure that it starts up on first hit of the starter. And that when you take it out for a spin, that it doesn't stumble when you really twist the throttle.
    When I first got mine, it would take about 4-5 tries with the starter for it to catch on a cold engine. After some troubleshooting, ended up replacing the fuel pump which can be a common weak spot for our bikes.

Thank you. Great list of things to check.