Thread: 2003 XB9R two issues Tranny and fuel system

2003 XB9R two issues Tranny and fuel system

#1 hard to find neutral and going in to second at higher speeds does not go well, some grinding but pops in.
    #2 with full tank runs good at about half tank starts stumbling and rpm wont climb, fill up and back to running normal.
    the bike is in good condition with no other issues, had 17000 miles. my first Buell thought I could get some clues before I dive in. thanks to all.

Okay, here is the quick run down..
    1) check clutch adjustment then clutch cable adjustment. At 17,000 miles the clutch plates should be still good. I have also found that lubing the clutch cable helps.

2) now the fuel pump.. the only time I’ve had a problem like what your talking about was when I bought a bike that sat for a long time with some fuel in it.. so it sucks to say you can either always keep a full tank. Or pull the fuel pump and clean it. I have seen some weird stuff happen with fuel.. the hose can have settlement or the screen can be clogged. If you pull the pump look here first
    8E16AAEE-5924-47BC-A564-5D3C22DF7BA5.jpg

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by newlin View Post
    #1 hard to find neutral and going in to second at higher speeds does not go well, some grinding but pops in.
    #2 with full tank runs good at about half tank starts stumbling and rpm wont climb, fill up and back to running normal.
    the bike is in good condition with no other issues, had 17000 miles. my first Buell thought I could get some clues before I dive in. thanks to all.

1-a full clutch cable lube.....clutch pack adjustment.....cable adjustment....lubrication of lever and perch....primary drive chain adjustment.....drain and refill with correct 20w-50 JASO-MA or higher primary/trans fluid.................all this typically restores smooth clutching and shifting action. all can be done in an hour or so with basic hand tools.
    2-the fuel pump is another story. clearly your unit needs either a complete service/rebuild or replacement. 2003-04 pumps are decent units but a bit more complex than later model interchangeable pumps. the symptoms you mentioned point towards a tired/clogged pump.
    Last edited by user_deleted; 11-03-2019 at 02:07 PM.

great thanks a lot as soon as I get to it I will update. again thank you.

Trust me that fuel pump can be a pain...........

thanks for the warning.

I dis-agree. Removing the fuel pump is easy when you do the cheat by hanging the back of the bike. You might need to fab a little puller if it's been in there since new, but access to it is simple.

so hang the rear end and drop swing arm by pulling shock bolt to gain access.

Yes ^^^^^^, do a search and you'll find the steps.