Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Japanese XB9R

Japanese XB9R

Hi guys, first post for me since joining some time ago.....for a long time I have liked Buells.....and still I get happy 'feelings' when I ride mine....so much so I bought a second one
    The 2003 XB9r I have is a Japanese version imported into New Zealand and it only had 8000k's on the clock when I got it 3 years ago and is in really good condition apart from non Buell levers on the left hand side. I was wondering if anyone knows what the differences are for the Jap models? The second hand dealer I got it from wasn't able to tell me anything about it really. The only thing I know for sure is the ECM is a JAPAN ONLY ECM. Other than that it all looks the same. Does anyone know what the differences are for the ECM? I've just purchased the Dongle for tuning so I'm attempting to soak up as much information from as many sources as I can before playing around with it.

Oh and the Exhaust is an Edlebrock item that seems almost as loud as the D&D exhaust I have on my XB12s. Were they only used on the 2003 model?

I think the 03 Japanese ecm basically has the white wire that retards the spark at high rpms to make the bike seam quieter at high speeds/rpm

Now I have not seen a magnaflow/ Edelbrock exhaust in a minute. Is it the style with the jarden elbow? With the option of the chin guard?

I have taken a photo.....but I haven't posted enough times to allow me to post it yet. The Muffler has: EDELBROCK RPM SERIES TRU-FLOW stamped on the bottom of it.....made in Buffalo

Last edited by Nade; 11-02-2019 at 03:42 AM.

IIRC wasn't just Japanese bikes. Mine had the white wire as well. Also did those come with emissions? If so the front header pipe makes a bigger sweep which prevents a RSS from fitting. Another thing is the ECM is different, firmware, but according to this list....
    from Buelltooth:

The following is a list of Buell ECM Firmware versions from ecmspy.com:

BUEGC Tube frame - model years 1999-2002
    BUEIA Tube frame - model years 1999-2002
    BUEJA Tube frame - model years 1999-2002
    BUEKA Tube frame - model years 1999-2002
    BUECB XB9 - model year 2003
    BUEGB XB - model year 2004
    BUEIB XB - model years 2005-2007
    B2RIB XB - model years 2005-2007 (Factory Race ECM)
    BUEIC XB - model years 2005-2007 (Japan only)
    BUEOD XB - model years 2008 and later
    BUEWD XB, 1125 - model years 2008 and later
    BUEYD XB, 1125 - model years 2008 and later
    BUEZD XB, 1125 - model years 2008 and later
    BUE1D XB, 1125 - model years 2008 and later
    B3R1D XB, 1125 - model years 2008 and later (EBR Race ECM)
    BUE2D XB, 1125 - model years 2008 and later
    BUE3D XB, 1125 - model years 2008 and later
    B3R3D XB, 1125 - model years 2008 and later (EBR Race ECM)

It is imperative that the EEPROM file being loaded onto the ECM matches the firmware version.

Sorry for the late reply....I missed yours

No there are no emissions like the California models. From my experience of bikes imported into New Zealand in general and replacement engines from the USA most people stay well clear of anything that comes from Cali for that exact reason...emissions controls. Some one once told me that Triumph had to retool their assembly line just to produce the engines specifically for Cali, how true that is im not sure.
    And yes I have read the Buelltooth site from front to back.....and read it again. I'm still waiting for my dongle which was sent regular mail and not express as it keeps the cost down significantly....it just takes ages. I keep checking the mail box like a kid waiting for Santa on Xmas eve!! LOL

Y'all drive on the wrong side right? I could never get used to throttle with my left hand, and right hand clutch. Who does the right-hand drive conversion on bikes....

That exhaust is either a latus or a remake of one. They only made them a few years and stopped production because edelbrock quit making that muffler. I own an original and a remake. That one looks like an original with having the chin spoiler brackets. They are great and at one time fetched a lot of money.
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by loose1 View Post
    That exhaust is either a latus or a remake of one. They only made them a few years and stopped production because edelbrock quit making that muffler. I own an original and a remake. That one looks like an original with having the chin spoiler brackets. They are great and at one time fetched a lot of money.
    Matt
    yup its original as far as I am aware......and rather loud. I have a D&D (or a near replica of one) on the XB12s and its very close to the same volume level. I was wondering about the cap welded over the left hand exit tube? was that tube uncovered for the 12's? or was the edlebrock not originally made for the XB's and just used as an 'of the shelf' item by Buell because it fitted??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast