Thread: Wheelie protection

Wheelie protection

So anyone have sugestions on padding for tank/frame around knees?

Not sure about your question. Are you saying your busting a ball doing wheelies? If so either stop cutting/closing the throttle after the bike gets to a 45deg or stop slamming on the rear brake. Also don’t ride so tight. I used to start my wheelies with my chest close to the tank and use all power to come up and push the bike away from me when I landed so not to bust a nut or feel like I was going to go over the bars. So totally different from doing a wheelie on a bmx. Or find a smooth two lane road with rolling hills and do wheelies up the hills to give you more time to adjust. Or You might want to get a small dirtbike and practice your balance point it is way cheaper and fun Because man it sucks to loop a full size bike.i myself bought a couple of 50 stunt bikes and do wheelies with my kids and teach friend how to do wheelies.
    2AB082D5-89CF-4FBD-97A1-9F8FB6624BA5.jpg

Techspec makes the best grips IMO, but there's lots of universal type sticky rubber on e-bay you can cut to shape.

Thanks guys
    So squid its not a ball issue its my knees hitting the tank
    On impact. When you say stop riding tight you mean loosen up meaning knees out? Makes sense for better balance and knee issue.
    Also so when I hit 45 dont cut just ease out/in the throttle to stay up?
    Seems like I can ride through any wheelie on a dirt bike through all gears even but I'm having the hardest time shifting at 45 without it dropping back down to where the power wont bring it back up!? Any idea how to smooth out/quicken my shifts while at 45-50°

Okay... I have a better idea of what your trying to do. So I will save you some heart ache. You really don’t want to do 60 plus mile a hour wheelies on a buell.... I’m not saying you can’t but the landing gets super sketchy as hell.... and tank slaps suck.
    I myself stick to 2nd gear wheelies with a max speed of about 50mph and I do power/clutch wheelies.
    I basically wind up to about 48 to 5500 rpms in 1st then shift to 2nd and shift my weight to the rear. Bike comes up to about 11o’clock. Depending on the road I tap the rear brake while still on the power to keep the balance point.

The main problem you are having is the learning curve going from chain to belt drive.
    Chain drive you have way more give in throttle control to where the belt drive has no slack.

Now for high speed wheelies... you can start a wheelie in 3rd gear. But in order to do it right you have to do some adjustments to the rear suspension. What I did was softened the spring rate and loosen the compression and tighten the rebound, that helps to bounce the front wheel up and keep the ride softer at the higher speeds

Now shifting thru the gears is hard as hell on a buell I can do it from 1 to 2 you have to be at almost 12 o’clocK then close the throttle shift and as the bike is starting to come down let out the clutch and give it gas. While the bike is that high it hard to shift the gear because of the foot angle and the clunky transmission.

But as I have said so many times before find a hill and wheelie up it.. the front does not get as high and you still feel like your on top of the bike. Where going down hill can get sketchy. I myself have banged my plate on the rear tire with the stock cheese grater ripping down hills in the city.

E12E3300-911A-4E17-800C-863E31E1F638.jpg

Inactive
    wheelies? childs-play for novices and wannabees. grow a set and get serious. this is how i bring the motor up to temp on 1 of my XR1200's prior to riding. real stunts for real men.

John your back yard looks smaller in that vid. Lol!!
    Last edited by rchuff; 11-10-2019 at 05:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    ricky i've always said that you had a keen eye for perspective, and detail. launch ramp is in my yard and landing pit in neighbors' yard. two weeks ago i missed the pit and landed on his sunroom roof ending up in his kitchen. we haven't spoken since.
    I believe that! You neighbor has put up with alot over the years. Lol!!!