Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: The Jappa in my garage.....

Congratulations looks like your labor will be rewarded soon.

Here is the first test ride I did a couple of months ago. At the time the rear brakes weren't hooked up, the Handle bars were the original Suzuki 'GLP' factory set up, and the rear guards were as we purchased them. Since then I made a new 'Drag bar' type handle bar to give more leverage for the Mrs, it was really heavy to steer....this seems to reduce the effort required to steer. The rear guards had to be lengthened as the legal requirement is the guard must cover 1/3 of the tires circumference and have a minimum 3mm radius on all edges. (pedestrian safety bollicks) I fiber glassed an extension onto the rear of the guards to give the length required, and to reduce spray off the tire that is flung forward. While doing that I decided to add an aluminum tube to the edge of the guard to run the wirering for the tail lights. got carried away and fully fiber glassed it in to blend with the guard shape and style. Protects the wires from possible damage.
    I also fabricated a new forward foot board cross member as the fitting of the rear master cylinder created some head ache's and that lead to fabricating new foot boards, gear shifter mounts and modified the original gear shifter to also have a heel kicker.....the list of things just in that small area that needed redoing grew pretty quick

https://youtube.com/shorts/Z8MZsq9LNhE?feature=share

I also have spent the best part of the past 2 years battling C-PTSD. Only recently have I been able to access therapy and openly talk about it after years of pharmaceutical drugs, alcohol and lots and lots of denial. This has added many many months to the build as I have seconded guessed every thing I have done and procrastinated for fear of failure. BUT it also has ensured everything I have done has been to the best of my ability.
    I'm not looking for sympathy, just a bit of understanding I guess. My PTSD was not caused by my Military service (although it did help in bringing it out so I could deal with it).
    Hugs not Drugs kids......unless they are free! (and not in the back of a van)
    cup of ****.jpg

Building motorcycles is my choice of therapy too!

Red face

Ok so its been a couple of years now. Ive been plodding away with this trike in fits and starts and finally the construction part is done. I have been test riding it, my girlfriend has been riding it and we are both happy with it. From here the certifier is going to go over it and all being well, I will then dismantle it down to the last nut and bolt, paint it in the Colour she wants, get some bits re chromed and then reassemble it ready for its final inspection (to make sure I haven't changed anything before painting). Once the inspection is complete and signed off, an electronic Q code tag is fixed to the chassis, which can be used by Police on the side of the road to check the details of the modifications etc. or a prospective buyer can check to make sure its actually what I say it is. It then will be registered at a cost of $550 a year (Number plate/ Vehicle Inspection Number on the National database) and a Warrant of Fitness issued ($45 once a year for the first 5 years and then six monthly after that to prove it has been checked and passed as safe for use on New Zealand roads) Once all that is done my GF can ride off into the sunset and I can get back to building my own toys......Like a turbo XB9R!!! or an XB powered ATV.
    Modified Axles. Metric stud pattern to match the Mag Wheels she chose, and Splines to fit the Differential I modified. Daihatsu Terios flange and axles with Holden splines welded on. Different lengths because the Diff is slightly off center
    20210724_135211.jpg

Diveshaft: Rear Uni is Holden as is the Tube, mated to Suzuki shaft and Uni
    20210823_134809.jpg

Gratuitious Buell Shot
    20211015_093743.jpg

So while all this has been going on, my GF got bored waiting for me finish it. An oppurtunity to purchase an already road legal trike came about one drunken night.....with out seeing it and going by what I was told I randomly threw a low ball figure, like I dug a trench kinda low ball figure and he accepted. Said he just wanted it gone. So we took it. Needed alot of work to the carbs, and the cooling system but we got her done.
    1985 VS750 Suzuki Intruder. Water cooled and a little bit angry. I introduce...........The Purple People Eater
    20221127_162857.jpg
    Something for her to ride while the other is finished.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345