Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Jappa in my garage.....

The Jappa in my garage.....

My partner bought this VS1400 to be converted into a trike. I started the modifications sometime ago, but due the local cerifier quitting and then not being able to coerce / threaten / bribe any other certifier to come to my part of the country...its still sitting there waiting on red tape to be cut thru.......one day....hopefully soon....I can finish it off.
    20190911_183845.jpg

this is what we are aiming for:
    25-reverse-gearbox.jpg

Is he going to be delivering pizza ? Just kidding, I don't look forward to when I have to ride one those but, it's still better than not being able to ride at all.
    A friend of mine built one from scratch, he used a VW turbo diesel motor, I think he gets around 80 miles to the gallon as long as he lays off the turbo.
    Last edited by njloco; 11-05-2019 at 01:59 PM.

SHE lost her confidence with two wheels a couple of years ago, so decided 3 wheels would be good to keep her riding at least.

And I love a challenge. I have an engineering/ fabrication background with my own welding certification tickets so initially it was going to be a breeze....but laws change.....*insert grumpy fker here*
    Last edited by Nade; 11-06-2019 at 02:12 AM.

Great, another engineer here........
    I do understand the loss of confidence. My Ex went through that.

So after some serious hours spent taking photos, drawing plans and some late night phone calls to far off distant lands about trike designs....I've made a little bit of progress. Nothing physical, but I contacted the head honcho's that deal with the certification side of things here. I initially thought I was getting stonewalled by them as well, but it turns out they were contacting the same engineers I had, I guess just to confirm I wan't talking ****, and got the same responses I did. Lets just say they 'are not impressed' and are at this moment going above and beyond to help me get this trike finished and on the road. Still going to be a long process, but I have movement.

For you guys that are not from New Zealand here is a brief idea of what i'm dealing with
    Although not a government department, the Low Volume Vehicle Technical Association (LVVTA) is contracted to administer modified vehicle standards and the Low Volume Vehicle certification system on behalf of the New Zealand Transport Agency. LVVTA — an incorporated society — came about as a result of an impending change in vehicle regulations in the 1990s. Now, some 25 years after its inception, the LVV system, managed and developed by LVVTA, is deemed to be amongst the best in the world for both vehicle owners and government alike. It’s a system that’s administered by modifiers for modifiers.

In a nutshell, the NZ Government requires that all vehicles meet applicable safety requirements. Once a vehicle is modified from its original state or is scratch-built, there needs to be a method of ensuring continued compliance.
    The purpose of the low volume vehicle certification system, therefore, is to ensure that all modified production vehicles ‐ whether modified for commercial, passenger service, disability, recreational, leisure, sporting, or compliance purposes – and scratch‐built vehicles, have been designed and constructed in such a way that they are safe to be operated on the road, and comply as closely as practicable with the legal safety requirements applicable to high volume production vehicles.
    So they make the standards that I must adhere to when constructing/ modifying a vehical that is to be used on a public road.

Thats an interesting inside to what goes on for vehicle cert in other countries.

Here, in the Good Ol' US of A it is generally one bored, fat, old cop with zero knowledge. And your life depends on what kind of donuts he had that morning.

I currently have 3 answers for a Vin# question in Cali, and they ALL swear they're the right answer, but refuse to speak to the person giving the OPPOSITE answer

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Thats an interesting inside to what goes on for vehicle cert in other countries.

Here, in the Good Ol' US of A it is generally one bored, fat, old cop with zero knowledge. And your life depends on what kind of donuts he had that morning.

I currently have 3 answers for a Vin# question in Cali, and they ALL swear they're the right answer, but refuse to speak to the person giving the OPPOSITE answer
    Not always, Don't forget the young ones just out of the academy that are going to save the world......by enforcing laws they don't know...

I recently had an animated "discussion" with one of those volunteer cop people about the size of my 100% stock non-commercial truck and the purpose of the overnight/oversize parking ban in the industrial area.

Reason? Evidence? Common sense? Oh nononononononononono....

I'd say typically a 1/2 step better than the standard Mall protector variety, but don't go thinking that's a compliment.

I sure hope this isnt turning into a police bashing thread.

Listen, I must agree with Lunaticfringe on his, especially since NZ and California might as well be the same country when it comes to the most ignorant vehicle inspection laws and, even more ignorant gun laws. My bikes do not have to be inspected anymore, nor does my diesel pick up but, we are responsible for the up keep of the vehicles. Remember, it still sucks living in the Soviet State of N.J.

You New Zealanders should do what the gun owners are doing there, refusing to comply by threat of civil war, now that they talked the talk, let's see if they can walk the walk !

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast