Thread: Rebound damping screw

Rebound damping screw

I was checking the suspension settings for the first time since purchasing my XB12SCG, and the right side rebound screw will turn clockwise indefinitely until it buries down into the fork (it does not hit a "stop"). The left side had no issues. Any idea what's going on here?

https://www.twinmotorcycles.nl/websh...g__FRONT_FORK_[16_41].png

See #18. That long shaft is the rebound needle and it should be all one piece. You'll have to take off the fork top cap to see what's going on in there. Which means you could cheat by removing the front axle to get to the cartridge bolt and loosening the upper triple to take off that cap, but you really should just remove both forks completely once the fork oil and seals you now have to order... show up.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    https://www.twinmotorcycles.nl/websh...g__FRONT_FORK_[16_41].png

See #18. That long shaft is the rebound needle and it should be all one piece. You'll have to take off the fork top cap to see what's going on in there. Which means you could cheat by removing the front axle to get to the cartridge bolt and loosening the upper triple to take off that cap, but you really should just remove both forks completely once the fork oil and seals you now have to order... show up.
    Appreciate the advice. This is going to be beyond my mechanical know how and toolset. Any idea what this will run me in labor if I order the parts? Also, does anyone have any phoenix area recommendations? I'm guessing it's ill advised to ride around with this issue...

Someone probably was in there and didn’t “synch” the adjuster to the damper rod. The screw on the end of the fork, is just an “extension” of the lower damping adjuster rod. The service book has the instructions on how to do that. It’s not difficult, just follow the instructions and go slowly.

Any motorcycle shop that works on Showa forks, should be able to easily tackle this. The hardest part is getting the fork legs off the bike. You can probably nurse it around and be okay, but if you start pushing the bike, it may bite back.

The only shop I’d feel comfortable with tackling this is Eastside Performance in Mesa. He’s mostly into older Japanese bikes but Showa forks were used in lots of those.
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 11-17-2019 at 06:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    Someone probably was in there and didn’t “synch” the adjuster to the damper rod. The screw on the end of the fork, is just an “extension” of the lower damping adjuster rod. The service book has the instructions on how to do that. It’s not difficult, just follow the instructions and go slowly.

Any motorcycle shop that works on Showa forks, should be able to easily tackle this. The hardest part is getting the fork legs off the bike. You can probably nurse it around and be okay, but if you start pushing the bike, it may bite back.

The only shop I’d feel comfortable with tackling this is Eastside Performance in Mesa. He’s mostly into older Japanese bikes but Showa forks were used in lots of those.
    Perfect, thanks!

It’s really not that bad of a job. You could probably do it with the forks in place, but you will need a way to reliably support the front end of the bike.

Btw, my last post really only applies to the 2006-earlier bikes. That assembly changed sometime after that, but the idea is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    It’s really not that bad of a job. You could probably do it with the forks in place, but you will need a way to reliably support the front end of the bike.

Btw, my last post really only applies to the 2006-earlier bikes. That assembly changed sometime after that, but the idea is the same.
    Gotcha. I only have basic tools and no stands/lifts, just doing basic maintenance in my carport. I'll bring it to someone for this job.

You may also want to ask Chandler HD. I think they were a Buell dealer back in the day and hopefully may have a tech who appreciates them.