Thread: Does the Buell stator fails ofter ?

Does the Buell stator fails ofter ?

Hello everyone !

I heared from an HD dealer that the buell XB stator often fail at about 15 000 to 20 000 miles. I also see that TM makes an alternative stator that is suppose to run cooler and last longer... (makes me think that the HD dealer might be right)
    So, I was wondering if that is a fact that it often has problems like the oil pump gear for instance. Or if it is just a "Buell is garbage that always has problems" kind of thing ?

Thank you very much !

Inactive
    I heared from an HD dealer that the buell XB stator often fail

your dealer mouth-piece is incorrect. having owned approx. 25 XB models to date.... and having accrued well over 60,000 miles on combined XB's....i have only replaced ONE voltage regulator. XB charging systems are simple in design and very reliable. having said that....longevity entirely dependent upon condition of wiring harness plugs....VR ground....type of primary oil used....condition of and quality of battery....and components being repeatedly exposed to excessive temperatures.

All right ! That sounds fine to me ! Thanks !
    Thanksfully, it's a Kawasaki dealers that take care of my Buell :-). I am glad I am not having it done by HD. That saves me lots of $$$ and, probably, mistakes.

At 20K Miles I replaced my VR on an XB12. It popped a couple of CEL errors and behaved a little erratic when I tested it with a multi-meter. No CEL messages since I changed the VR, have put 10K Miles on it since.
    Now the BATTERY on the other hand... I bought a cheap no-name battery, I was only asking about prices, and this guy was already filling it with acid... Oh Well... Live and Learn...
    Your dealer may be confusing the Stator on the 2009+ 1125's. They ate stators as young as 3000 mile, but that's a topic for a different thread.

Quote Originally Posted by pdksh View Post
    Your dealer may be confusing the Stator on the 2009+ 1125's. They ate stators as young as 3000 mile, but that's a topic for a different thread.
    Well, it is on a video where he ride an... 2009 XB9SX and was only talking about that particulare model. So maybe he was wrong about that stator problem but he was definitly talking about the XB9SX.
    Anyways, thanks ! Then I guess I should not have any big problems with my bike !

Quote Originally Posted by Niklos View Post
    Well, it is on a video where he ride an... 2009 XB9SX and was only talking about that particulare model. So maybe he was wrong about that stator problem but he was definitly talking about the XB9SX.
    Anyways, thanks ! Then I guess I should not have any big problems with my bike !
    What they said above^^^

The 2009 1125's had charging issues, but once someone properly fixes them, its a done deal.

The XB's did not have any more charging issues than any other bike out there. Pretty much every motorcycle forum has postings of people with failing/failed stators, R/R's, batteries, etc. The XB is probably more reliable than most other makes in that regard.

My 08 ully has around 16000 miles on it now, I replaced the VR just a few hundred miles ago. The only symptoms I noticed were, it started to take a really long time for the trickle charger to juice up the big crank battery. This went on for quite some time ( months ) then finally I needed a boost to start the bike, so sure enough I checked the battery and it showed over 12 volts after being charged up and held it, so checked to see if the stator was putting out and sure enough it was which narrows it down to the VR. I did talk to a friend on here about the symptoms and he stared me in the right direction.