Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Britt in my Garage

The Britt in my Garage

Just picked up a Triumph Thruxton 1200 R, I had been trying to purchase an EBR 1190RX but because they were never imported into Canada.... One big PITA... So back to the thumper. With a 250 degree crank it revs and pulls like a V-twin, hardly a thumper at all. Almost zero vibrations in the bars and pegs. The riding position is what I would call neutral-attack, bent over a little but I can still walk after a day of riding. The bike feels small, narrow and is very easy to flick around. I put a set of Vance & Hines cans on the bike and used an X-pipe to remove the catalytic converter. To help it breath a K&N air filter was added. The mods help bring the bike to life, mostly in the rumble department. The ECU apparently is capable of adapting to easy mods so no need for a tune. The Thruxton paces like an XB12, it pulls like a rocket to 100MPH and then starts to top out, more than fast enough for me. I picked up a copy of TUNEECU for for my phone so I can diagnose electrical problems for good measure.

Took the bike around the Cabott Trail in Nova Scotia and this bike is just FUN. Lots of low-end torque that pulls like a freight train, sound familiar? This bike was built with the exact same mind set of the; Buells, Ducati Monsters and Moto-Guzzis. A bike full of usable power that loves to gobble up the canyons. The suspension is perfect. I look at the pair of BREMBO MONO BLOCKs and wonder how much better it would handle if I pulled one off and reduced the unsprung weight. The bike has three riding modes; RAIN, ROAD and SPORT. SPORT MODE actually feels like a mechanical upgrade to the bike, like Cosworth just installed Stage 1 Kit or something. There is traction control and anti-lock brakes but best of all sixth gear.

Riding the bike makes me appreciate how motorcycles have come over the past 10 years. It also makes me appreciate what Eric Buell could have built if given the proper opportunity. The designers of the Thruxton were obviously not nagged and penny pinched by the HDMC.

This bike is a modern roadster disguised as a classic.

A984ED1C-A551-4110-8294-87BCABFD37A4.jpg

The bike looks great !

Great bike, great handling but, slow by today's standards, so are Buells also, so much fun to ride in the urban areas and the twisties. Trumpets always had one of the best sounding exhausts especially when put up against an HD. Pretty bike, best of luck with it.

Quote Originally Posted by njloco View Post
    Great bike, great handling but, slow by today's standards, so are Buells also, so much fun to ride in the urban areas and the twisties. Trumpets always had one of the best sounding exhausts especially when put up against an HD. Pretty bike, best of luck with it.
    I'm slow by today's standards! There is a lot to be said for racing around on an RD350 on public roads. You had to shift at least 3 times between street lights. The first time I road a 1-litre sportbike I was a disappointed that I didn't have to shift into second till 70MPH. Heck the bike didn't wake up until it was at 8000rpm.

Yes I was a little surprised to see the triumph start to top out at 100MPH. I've been riding V-Twins/L-Twins for years, I'll never exchange top-end speed for low-end torque.

That is clean looking. Congrats. My Buell is plenty fast enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by rb70383 View Post
    That is clean looking. Congrats. My Buell is plenty fast enough for me.
    x2 - Agreed plenty fast enough!!

That is super cool. Nice ride!

I rode I-4's for a looong time. Now I really appreciate the V-twin engine, regardless of its make or configuration.

Great job man, those are so pretty! Nice to know it has enough power for daily fun that you won't get bored of. I wouldn't mind adding one to the garage

I like the look. Even the fake carbs to keep it classic looking. Nice bike.

Your right Outlaw they went to great lengths to hide all the modern stuff, even close up!

Moar pics pleeze

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast