Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XB12S Red Rear Spring

XB12S Red Rear Spring

Apologies if this isn't the right area, but I'm not sure if it's a problem to troubleshoot or just informational. My XB12S has a red rear shock, which I'm just now realizing is not stock. My rear brake is pretty ineffective on it's own, which I've read is not that uncommon, and could even be by design, as it is meant to complement the front brake in a balanced manner. That said, I was looking into re-setting my suspension to the factory specs in case the PO messed with it, only to notice I have a red rear spring. The only things I've found are an EBR spring that says it fits the 1125 R and CR models, and an aftermarket spring advertised at riders over 180lbs. I'm only 160 lbs, and this is my first sportbike, so I don't have much experience to go off of whether it feels as it should. I was going to see if I can find a part number on it that helps identify it, but was wondering if anyone else has experience with this. If it's for heavier riders, I'll have to find a stock one. If it's the EBR one, then I may still need to change it out, but am having trouble finding spring rate comparison info.

Was able to get a hold of the previous owner before the one who sold it to me through a facebook group, and found out he replaced fork and rear shock with SCG. He powedercoated the rear shock red for looks. Probably why the person who sold it to me claimed it was an SCG, even though the VIN came back XB12S (either way I was in as long as everything checked out) . Glad I found this out before trying to set up the suspension. Now, can anyone know how to delete a thread?

It’s probably the iron machine spring. The one for the 180lb riders. I’d check suspension settings first and see if you could dial it in even with the heavier spring. However, if that doesn’t work then you can score a brand new rear shock with the blue spring for $220 at St. Paul.

I stand corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by mike lowary View Post
    I stand corrected.
    You're first guess was what I had found though too. Was worried it could have been a case of messing with the rear and not doing anything to the front like some people seem to do with SCG rear springs.

Talk to Purpony about getting an adapter to mount a Brembo P32 caliper to the rear of the bike. I did it to my XB12SS and I was able to reuse the existing brake hose by rerouting it. You can also use a P34 caliper, but you will likely want to use a new master cylinder as well.

http://www.mcmoto-worx.com/buell-xb-series-parts.html

I did it primarily to hide the caliper on my bike, the braking power increase was minimal with the P32. My $0.02 is that having a weak rear brake is actually a benefit as it will prevent locking up the rear under hard braking. YMMV.

There are also a few threads about this on here... a search should net something with AZmidget and Cooter discussing MC cylinder size and ratios.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    Talk to Purpony about getting an adapter to mount a Brembo P32 caliper to the rear of the bike. I did it to my XB12SS and I was able to reuse the existing brake hose by rerouting it. You can also use a P34 caliper, but you will likely want to use a new master cylinder as well.

http://www.mcmoto-worx.com/buell-xb-series-parts.html

I did it primarily to hide the caliper on my bike, the braking power increase was minimal with the P32. My $0.02 is that having a weak rear brake is actually a benefit as it will prevent locking up the rear under hard braking. YMMV.

There are also a few threads about this on here... a search should net something with AZmidget and Cooter discussing MC cylinder size and ratios.
    Thanks, I've actually been thinking about that mod if re-setting suspension and bleeding brakes/new pads doesn't help. I've heard pads make the biggest difference. Is the adapter just for the hidden caliper, or to make the brembo fit at all? I don't care about hiding things.

I’m not sure if the stock rear caliper will work with the hidden caliper bracket. If you aren’t too worried about hiding things then I would suggest a rear master cylinder rebuild kit, fresh fluid, and sintered brake pads. (I use EBC pads). That alone completely changed the rear brake feel for me. Definitely locks up now if you want it to. Keep in mind that mine is an 03 model. Yours mite not need the master rebuild kit. It’s cheap though. I’d do it

Pur Ponys caliper bracket is only meant to hide the rear caliper, which needs to be a Brembo P32 or P34. If you don't want to hide it, the stock rear caliper is totally fine and plenty big enough.

Get NEW, good brand pads (Like EBC) even if your have material left, clean and then re-bed the rear rotor, and you'll have stock Buell rear brake function.

If that's not good enough for you (it wasn't for me) I replaced the rear M/C in the last XB with a smaller 11mm bore (IIRC) and REALLY liked how the rear brake was now progressive and fully functional. I felt the stock set-up was a hard wooden pedal and glass-like rotor that I could NOT lock up if I stomped on a well maintained stock rear brake. YMMV.

Cooter, do you have a make, model part number for that rear master cylinder you used?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast