Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 09 Buell Blast running issue

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Jetlee is correct about the needle jet, but you'd know if the carb was totally apart right before it wouldn't run correctly... and would have hopefully mentioned that.
    You would be surprised how many people think the flat side should be up, so they don't mention it.

Quote Originally Posted by Endopotential View Post
    I learned a lot about tinkering on carb'd bikes with my old Suzuki GS500.
    I had an '84 GS500E, I hated that bike with a passion. The carbs are very similar. I ended up trading it straight across for a Remington 870 Express Tactical and have never once felt bad about it.

Quote Originally Posted by jetlee View Post
    You would be surprised how many people think the flat side should be up, so they don't mention it.
    That^^^

and never checking the float height

Quote Originally Posted by jetlee View Post
    I had an '84 GS500E, I hated that bike with a passion. The carbs are very similar. I ended up trading it straight across for a Remington 870 Express Tactical and have never once felt bad about it.
    -Sorry for the thread digression-

Hey, I love my GS! Not like there's any place to shoot a gun in the Bay Area these days anyways.

Nowhere as much power or torque as the Buell, but so much lighter and easy to flick around. Granted, I modded it a bit..

Suzuki Cafe Fighter.jpg
    Suzuki Cafe Fighter 2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Endopotential View Post
    -Sorry for the thread digression-

Hey, I love my GS! Not like there's any place to shoot a gun in the Bay Area these days anyways.

Nowhere as much power or torque as the Buell, but so much lighter and easy to flick around. Granted, I modded it a bit.
    I was excited when I got it, I had plans for it and really wanted it to pan out. Turned out it had a lot of issues and I was getting tired of fixing one thing to find another.

I didn't live in the Gay Area at that time, I had lots of county land and nearby ranges.

Yours looks really nice!

Hey guys, thank you for all your help. Just a quick update. I took the carburetor apart, as previously mentioned, the carb bowl gasket needs to be replaced, as well as the paper gasket that bolts to the plastic cover. The jets were surprising clean, and the diaphragm was pressurizing the slide properly. I am still scratching my head as the same symptoms persist, except now in addition, my new battery that the HD dealership sold me, has discharged after several failed attempts by me to get the bike to not choke out when I applied the throttle (exactly like previous symptoms). I am still thinking it may be the ignition control module as I believe I have witnessed numerous times where the timing light was not lighting at all. I cannot imagine these symptoms would be caused by the gasket issues alone. Nevertheless, I need to replace these parts and finding them is more difficult than I thought. If anyone has any recommendations where I could order these parts from, I would greatly appreciate it. (The carb bowl gasket and the paper plastic gasket)

I had an old 87 GSL850, first bike I ever learned on. The thing was a tank, I am telling you, rain or shine it fired right up. I am wondering if Suzuki still makes a good bike.

If you aren't getting a light from your timing light, it isn't hooked up right. The bike would not run at all without spark. If you think you are having a timing issue, you'll need to get the timing light to light up first.

Its a CV 40mm Carb. Same as a Sportster. Pick your favorite brand of re-build. For $10 to $23 it's well worth the re-build. The parts alone won't fix it, you need to GET EVERYTHING CLEAN. Poke a wire into every orifice you can find

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Harley+CV...ref=nb_sb_noss

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...build&_sacat=0

Quote Originally Posted by david thomas View Post
    I took the carburetor apart, as previously mentioned, the carb bowl gasket needs to be replaced, as well as the paper gasket that bolts to the plastic cover. The jets were surprising clean, and the diaphragm was pressurizing the slide properly. I am still scratching my head as the same symptoms persist, except now in addition...
    Sorry, you have me confused - you found all those deficient parts on the carbs, but then put the carb back together nonetheless, and then wonder why you're having problems? Seems like you need to get all the proper gaskets first (and replace all the perishable rubber bits as well), reassemble a properly restored cab, and then reassess. Not sure how you check out float bowl issues on a Blast, but a leaking needle valve there will also flood your bike.

Ditto on Cooter's comments. Can you get the spark plug to light up when you ground it out to the frame? Sure you have a functional timing light (check it on a running car or something)?

Just run it down one system at a time. And question all your assumptions. It's a good logic puzzle in many ways.

Cooter, technically speaking, there were just 2 issues I've found with the carb as mentioned, one paper gasket that holds the plastic piece to the bolts, and the other was the carb bowl gasket itself. The paper gasket had a minor tear in one of the bolt holes and the carb bowl gasket was slightly warped, in my opinion, neither would cause these sort of symptoms alone. Furthermore, after not being able to figure out what the issue was, I put the carb back together and had Harley pick the bike up to do a full diagnostic. Since they were doing a full diagnostic on my bike, I put it back together the way it was, assuming they would find the issues regardless. Instead, they told me the only issue was the fact the battery was dead. Supposedly they did a full diagnostic but did not even find the carb issues that are quite apparent on sight. After receiving my bike back from HD with a new battery, the same symptoms persisted. So, upon advice from the good people here, I took the carb apart again to test the jets and the diaphragm. That took me less than a half our to do, so I put it back together after cleaning the jets to see if it would run. As I have reported, nothing improved, so now I am looking for those two gaskets to replace on the carb, really it's quick work. My gut is telling me it's the control ignition module going bad. There were times I had spark against the frame with the control ignition module lighting up, and other days, no spark and no light. I am aware this is more of an issue on the 2001 blast, and this is a 2009, but I am stumped as to what else it could be.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast