Thread: Harley Davidson Dealers

Harley Davidson Dealers

Does anyone else find huge differences between HD dealerships in the same town/ city/ countries they live in?
    The local dealership here is shocking with parts availability, and differences in prices.
    I attempted to source parts this morning but wasn't even able to find out if they even stocked them or not.
    I contacted a dealership at the other end of the country who had stock levels available online and was able to purchase intake seals for the 1200 with no hassle at all, they were even able to tell me that the throttle cables and Idle adjustment cable were available ex USA and still currently in-stock.
    I have read that some dealerships won't send parts without VIN numbers, or across the border from USA to Canada......I've heard some horror stories locally too, but to not even know if the parts were on the shelf, available in the country...or a confirmed price seems a lot weird to me!

This has been a on going thing... it pure capitalization and supply and demand. I blew my motor about 50 miles outside of Gillette wy... I think the town was called morcrofft on my way to devils tower (spelling is not right)
    40B1D170-B15B-45CE-997F-070610AD5A15.jpg
    I had my bike towed to Gillette harley they were going to put a new motor with matching case numbers into my bike for $4,200 the only thing was it would take 3 weeks. I opted to rent a uhaul for $1400 plus gas to bring my bike back the 1800 miles home to deal with
    81472ABE-4C10-4C8E-ACA3-D9B673D8185F.jpg
    I took my bike to Walnut Creek harley (Pacheco harley now) and they gave me a quote of $8000 and then said how about you just trade in your bike for a new one. So I guess what I’m saying is depending on where you are at depends on the price. I redid my dealers license/ resale license and it saved me a ton of money... ordering the motor only cost me $2800 with me sending back my right case half’s to keep my same case numbers but I had to remove and install my motor.

Wow I have never heard of "matching case numbers". I thought the whole point of them is to know it was the original engine. Not a replacement (including stolen).

If you can just have them re-stamped, why have them at all? Crazy. Learn something everyday I guess.

You have to send in your case half and they send you a whole motor... same thing as the frame. If your frame gets wrecked you can cut the neck off... I think it’s 12 inches down the back bone and 12 inches down the front legs... but hear is Harley’s motor replacement link

https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/e...e-program.html

Man that is rough......Harley is well known here for 'paying for the name'. As most people can probably attest to, cross referencing part numbers and buying equivalent parts at a fraction of the cost is usually a good start.
    I used to buy a lot of parts from GM that I soon found could be bought much cheaper.

I guess to keep it on track yes harley dealers are well known to set there own prices and yes there was a hand full of dealers that catered to buells... but most of the time the dealships just ordered the parts from Milwaukee now I remember back in the day 2007ish Buell offered replacement motors from there plant in Troy but not with the same vin and if I remember right it had a “r” or “RnR” in the vin but the cost was to high to justify buying them.