Thread: Front Rotor Alignment and hardware

Front Rotor Alignment and hardware

All,

The 2006 Uly service manual states: Front Rotor Installation, align reference dot on the front rotor with the valve stem.

When removing and reinstalling a used rotor where is this dot? Unfortunately i did not mark the rotor before removing, it seems to run good and the overall wheel balance did not really change. Still a little vibration over 75mph, probably wind or the wearing Pirelli MT-60's.

The manual also states to use all new washers, drive bushings and fasteners when installing a rotor. I cleaned up and put the old stuff back on. I will probably get the wheel powdercoated this winter and could use new hardware then. Thoughts on how critical is using new hardware?

thanks,
    Dave

Inactive
    dave: the "dot" is the small punch mark near circumference of the rotor. it should face OUT and be as close to the valve stem as possible. every XB wheel has inner colored paint "dob" which is used as reference when mounting new tires to avoid excessive required wheel weights during balancing. as it's not practical to access these "dobs" just to reinstall a rotor correctly....factory simply states line up rotor dot/punch mark close as possible to valve stem which is "theoretically" the heaviest part of the wheel assembly.

it is NOT necessary or required to replace any of the rotor attachment hardware if it still appears serviceable...which it typically is. use blue loctite on the rotor torx head bolts. the factory used a proprietary pink fluid.

NOTE: seeing as how it's the front wheel i always recheck the wheel balance once rotor is installed and torqued to spec. overkill...but i still take the 5 required minutes to do it.

Right on. Thanks!!!