Thread: Stt fork rebuild part numbers

Stt fork rebuild part numbers

Greetings,
    I have my 07 Stt up for the winter and noticed the dust seals are dry and cracked. I was thinking if I replace those I might as well as go through and replace all the perishables in the forks while I am in there. I am having difficulty finding parts that are confirmed to work for the oddball Stt forks and I couldn't find anything to reference excpet for this
    Also should I just go in and replace the oil and dust seals or do everything?
    This is what I have come up with so far.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Buellmods.com has the Buell service manual available for you to download. I suggest you read it for this very simple job it is really explanatory and even has pics for you so theres no need to document it as you would just be duplicating the already available info.

Parts are readily available through Twin motorcycles, SPHDOnline.com, NewCastle Harley, E-bay, Amazon and many other sources just like any other consumable Buell part is.

Good luck, get the spring compressor, and enjoy your time in the garage

How are stock Showa forks "oddball"?

I have helped my friend do his 08 firebolt forks and it was pretty straight forward. I have a cart with SPHD Online that has all the parts in question. What I need to know is should I go through and replace things like the o-rings or just focus on the oil and dust seals?
    I say stt are oddball because the preload adjustment on the fork is different from every other buell in the XB line that I have seen. I take it just the preload cap is different?

You didn't mention mileage or abuse, but it is 13 years old.

You are going to have the tubes apart to replace only the cracked dust seals that annoy you, and will probably damage the oil seal in the process, so why not actually 're-build' the forks?

That means taking it apart and "Re-Building" them from scratch, not putting used parts back in. Will you be happy you saved $3 for an o-ring when they leak next summer?

Lots of quotes have been written about your question. "Buy once, cry once" is one of them

Let's see a pic of these one off preload adjuster and caps you speak of.

I think the OP means the later style with the anodized pre-load nut, like the 1125's have. He just hasn't seen them before and they are different than the early bikes. I have no idea what the break down is or what bike got which ones. Maybe Lunatic would?

Yup. They the ones! Just did an image search. Are 1125 forks and stt interchangeable? Should I just be looking for 1125 fork part numbers then?

You need to measure fork diameters and check the part number on the sticker on the inside of the lower fork leg.

If they are the forks that came on your Stt from the factory no they are not the same as the 1125 forks.

08+ 1125 - 47mm forks
    07 Stt - 43mm forks