Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Headlamp Bulbs Blowing

Headlamp Bulbs Blowing

I have an 08 XB12S and within the last week, had 3 headlamp bulbs blown.
    Having read similar problems on here, I checked battery voltage, 12.6v. Started engine and voltage went to 14.4v, revving showed no increase in voltage.

Am I correct in assuming this means the stator is working , as we have an increase in voltage on running, but the regulator is dead as no increase on throttle?

Most likely your VR is on the the way out, bulbs are cheap replace it before it fries relays and ECM. JMO

A VR going bad can cause intermittent voltage spikes and the symptoms you are having.

I don't think it should show that high of a voltage unless you rev it up so yes it's probably the VR, that's what I'd be replacing.

Cheers, confirmed my suspicions.

Only trouble is now, where to find one in stock! Might be better trying for Rocking Horse Poo!

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    Sir: the OEM part # for the VR is Y0302.5A8---suffix L19D. it is single phase and both legs of harness attach behind the factory left side air scoop. i keep good used and new ones in stock. check a dealer in your country for availability. you can also retro-fit harley-davidson part # 74711-08 which is cheap and plentiful both new and used but several labor-intensive mods need to be done to make it fit the stock mounting points.
    Many thanks for the info, I had seen a post about the HD part, I assume that is the one that needs the wires extended and new mounting plate? I will look into that if I can’t find an OEM part for my bike.

Having searched internet extensively last couple of days, they do seem to be either not available or second hand in UK. I am waiting on a call back from Harley to see if they have one in they’re system.

I have had poor experience with buying second hand parts, last one I bought for my Buell I paid 60% of new price for a part that failed within 2 months and the seller was not interested. When I looked inside, it had been ‘fixed’ with 2 part epoxy! As the VR is a solid state unit, I have no way of confirming it works until I fit it.

Since you're in the UK... have you tried Twin Motorcycles in the Netherlands?

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Since you're in the UK... have you tried Twin Motorcycles in the Netherlands?
    Hi, thanks, I had tried them, but website wasn’t working, just retried and ordered one. Just got to wait for it to arrive now!

Damn, just checked order confirmation and it’s on back order so no idea how long that will take and I use my bike for work, back to searching!
    Last edited by Cutri; 12-15-2019 at 04:50 PM.

Hi, this is wrong item for my bike, thanks for helping though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast