Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting/Electrical problem

Starting/Electrical problem

Hi, I have a 2006 XB12R. When I turn the ignition on, the headlight comes on but the gauges don’t sweep. When I turn the kill switch on the fuel pump doesn’t cycle. When I hit the start switch....nothing. Battery is charged, all fuses are good and I replaced all three relays about 6 months ago because of a different issue. Any ideas??

Did you clean all your grounds and have the battery load checked ?
    Last edited by njloco; 12-19-2019 at 01:42 PM.

Since any answer here would be totally guessing, because we are on the internet without your bike in front of us to actually test and diagnose for you...

Get the manual download from Buellmods.com or Buelltooth.com and look at what circuit powers the dash and the kill switch (it's the same circuit), use the manual to see where the wiring goes, or actually remove some body panels to look.

Get a test light or voltmeter (either can be free from Harbor Freight) to test sections of the wiring to see where the problem is. Be systematic from A to B and you WILL find it.

Don't 'assume' anything, that is "skipping a step" and will cause you time and money. So double check the fuses and relays are good.. Swap relays around, swap fuses around. Look for bad connection in the fuse box.

I LOVE these light up fuses. When the link breaks, the power is sent through a little LED.

What the what!! Where did u get those fuses! Never mind, found them on eBay. What a great idea!
    Last edited by lancruza; 12-19-2019 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Since any answer here would be totally guessing, because we are on the internet without your bike in front of us to actually test and diagnose for you...

Get the manual download from Buellmods.com or Buelltooth.com and look at what circuit powers the dash and the kill switch (it's the same circuit), use the manual to see where the wiring goes, or actually remove some body panels to look.

Get a test light or voltmeter (either can be free from Harbor Freight) to test sections of the wiring to see where the problem is. Be systematic from A to B and you WILL find it.

Don't 'assume' anything, that is "skipping a step" and will cause you time and money. So double check the fuses and relays are good.. Swap relays around, swap fuses around. Look for bad connection in the fuse box.

I LOVE these light up fuses. When the link breaks, the power is sent through a little LED.
    That is a No brainier. neat stuff. I first had them in my supra and the tech at the shop told me that good thing he saw it ,big short could have burned up my whole dash .LOL

I cleaned the grounds 6 months ago when I was troubleshooting a charging problem. The battery is only 2 years old but it has been run flat a number of times. I’ll have it load tested. Thanks for the tip!

Thanks Cooter, I’ll start down that path.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by rmorris4437 View Post
    I cleaned the grounds 6 months ago when I was troubleshooting a charging problem. The battery is only 2 years old but it has been run flat a number of times. I’ll have it load tested. Thanks for the tip!

a "wet" lead-acid or AGM style battery will never ever be the same after it's internal voltage has been run down to near 0...no matter what methods are used to restore its charge.
    simply do this:
    disconnect negative cable from battery and let sit a few minutes. THEN reconnect and either jump-start this thing from a jumper box....charger with 50 amp or more output....or vehicle with known-good battery that is NOT running during the jump. if your start procedure then is normal, your battery at fault. if not... report back for assistance.
    Last edited by user_deleted; 12-20-2019 at 01:42 PM.

"That is a No brainier. neat stuff. I first had them in my supra and the tech at the shop told me that good thing he saw it ,big short could have burned up my whole dash .LOL "

Supra?? Did you say Supra???

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    a "wet" lead-acid or AGM style battery will never ever be the same after it's internal voltage has been run down to near 0...no matter what methods are used to restore its charge.
    simply do this:
    disconnect negative cable from battery and let sit a few minutes. THEN reconnect and either jump-start this thing from a jumper box....charger with 50 amp or more output....or vehicle with known-good battery that is NOT running during the jump. if your start procedure then is normal, your battery at fault. if not... report back for assistance.
    Thanks Lunaticfringe, I’ll give that a try after Xmas. What’s your recommendation on a new battery if I end up needing one?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast