Thread: Cold oil level - Help!

Cold oil level - Help!

Hi Folks. I have just bought myself a nice Buell XB12ss 2009. Got it from a private dealer. It clearly needs a service which I am in the process of doing. However, when I check the oil level on the side stand (cold) is runs out the dipstick as soon as I unscrew it. I know that the oil level should be checked when hot, but I wanted to make sure that there is enough oil in it to proprly warm it up, before changing the oil. To me it looks to have been over filled, i.e. probably checked when level, and topped up? Another overfilling sign is that the air filter looks filthy and there appears to be some oil residue in the filter box. The plugs were really bad, but have replaced these. So, any advice on the correct oil level cold, before I run the bike up to temperature, so that I can change the oil would really be appreciated. Cheers and Merry Christmas!

Last edited by Silverrider; 12-26-2019 at 09:47 PM.

Likely someone at the dealer checked the oil wrong, added more oil and now its overfull. Drain off some of the oil to get it down to a proper level, then you can run it to get it warmed up. I think the "warmed up" term is being used, when what is really likely happening is that they are getting the oil properly circulated in case the motor has a tendency to "wet sump".

If you are having trouble getting the oil level correct, one of the board members sells an adjustable dipstick. I think his name is Cooter.
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 12-26-2019 at 07:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    Likely someone at the dealer checked the oil wrong, added more oil and now its overfull. Drain off some of the oil to get it down to a proper level, then you can run it to get it warmed up. I think the "warmed up" term is being used, when what is really likely happening is that they are getting the oil properly circulated in case the motor has a tendency to "wet sump".

If you are having trouble getting the oil level correct, one of the board members sells an adjustable dipstick. I think his name is Cooter.
    No way Cooter would not do That !!!! When all else fails Drain it all out, add 2 qt ,get operating temp, on Kick stand turn off check it quickly before it goes back into engine. A while back I picked up a 09 PO changed the oil and did not follow the rules, when I drained it out came 3.5 qts . one for the books , I quess he should gotten a Cooter dip stick.
    Last edited by Silverrider; 12-26-2019 at 09:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverrider View Post
    No way Cooter would not do That !!!! When all else fails Drain it all out, add 2 qt ,get operating temp, on Kick stand turn off check it quickly before it goes back into engine. A while back I picked up a 09 PO changed the oil and did not follow the rules, when I drained it out came 3.5 qts . one for the books , I quess he should gotten a Cooter dip stick.
    Thanks everyone. Really appreciate the help. I will drain down and then warm the bike up to empty and change the filter.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverrider View Post
    when I drained it out came 3.5 qts .
    My 06 SS did that also. Of course, the drain plug was stripped out as well.

So, OP... also be careful when pulling and replacing the drain plug on the swingarm. Do not follow the factory torque specs.... I think the general consensus is to just tighten it up enough to make a seal.