Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rear wheel bearings - 09 XB9SX

Thats what she said

Cooter you are loosing it -- that hammer/bearing event took place in Arco, ID

Opto

I guess it was. Right before the total eclipse. I thought it was after, BUT I would trust that you remember better than I do 2 bearings/ 100 miles.... each.

Did I tell you the guy who did the XB suspension conversion to that M/2 had shaved down the inner bearing spacer slightly on purpose?? It sure explains the problem of killing new bearings. He bought that bike brand new, and still has it today!
    Lots of good mods, 1250 kit, 6-speed, upgraded carb, I really like that bike

Hi Cooter,

I will never forget that eclipse experience--spooky--plus the great location with the ultimate frisbee girls and the guy from NM with all the booze and goodies.

I remember that Mountain girl that hung out with us--I would like to get back out there next summer and run that road out up into WY.

I get most of the work on the Uly here in my town. The owner is cool but frank--he says hey, I make money by changing out parts and your wheel bearings (3 bearing rear) are fine--that is after two tire change outs.

So keeping my fingers crossed--I guess it all depends on who sets up the wheel after a tire change.

Opto

What a great ride
    It's nice to have an honest mechanic you can trust like that. Sadly they are getting more rare. Keep him happy!

The bearing thing with Buells is completely and weirdly unpredictable. Some last 5K... others 50k, so of course theres 1000 theories as to why... brands, torque, grease, whatever.
    I stick to a well known brand with factory torque settings and dismiss the wives tales.

To replace them every tire change may be over-kill, but I consider it trip-insurance. I don't always have a willing compatriot (like you) to ride 100 miles to a Napa for me The minor cost is worth every penny if you ride like we do

I found I was missing a tooth on the belt while camping at the Grand Canyon! Meh, rode it home to LA. I broke a clutch cable in Laughlin, and rode that home too. But a bad bearing will stop you in your tracks

Next time give me a call--I have a spare belt and a clutch cable, could have over nighted it to you. I have had that broken clutch cable experience --OK once you get rolling but stop lights really suck. For advanced riders only .

When I got my new 3 bearing wheel couldn't help but notice the "made in China" on the casting. The wiring harness says Hecho in MX--My made in America ULY!

Just some recall but the oddest ever was encountering another ULY rider in FT Bragg, CA. He had to show me a special jack he carried around just in case he ever tipped the bike over. I thought that was what adrenaline was for!

We will cross paths this year--it is time.

Opto

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Did I tell you the guy who did the XB suspension conversion to that M/2 had shaved down the inner bearing spacer slightly on purpose?? )

wait... what?

Opto: For sure man, I'm ready for another long trip this spring

34:19, Ya... thats what I said to him, when the second new set failed. Maybe he mixed up that they are ball bearings that get very angry with side loads, and not tapered roller bearings? Dunno, he's a very smart guy, maybe just out-thunk this one. Happens to us all

That said, I do have a pet project to add tapered wheel bearings to a Buell wheel, the bearing part would be easy, but the differences in pre-load/ rigidity in the suspension are hard to calculate (for me). I have to make sure the swing arm, and especially the front forks, don't lose any of the rigidity that the 40-50 ft/lbs of axle torque on roller ball bearings provide.

You would probably need to devise some sort of crush sleeve. Or use an angular contact bearing??

It’s probably best to just move to 3 bearing rear wheels.

Last edited by 34nineteen; 01-07-2020 at 12:43 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12