Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ENGINE light with limp home mode?

ENGINE light with limp home mode?

Guys I've been chasing an engine light and subsequent limp home mode for a few years...

The bike runs great in the back up mode except for the ratty idle. I've ridden it thousands of miles with the light on. You gotta know it drives me outta my mind but... the first time it happened I rode it 400 miles home out of nessesity and realized it wasn't hurting anything other then gas mileage and the Idle.

I'm generally a good mechanic and it's currently at a certified Harley Master tech's place. Just at a loss on how to fix this turd.

I bought the bike new about 6 months after they shut down Buell... it's my Forever bike... no interest in selling it or doing anything but wearing it's happy ass out.

What we've done... There are no codes. and we've replaced several sensors as well as the O2 sensor... If the bike is allowed to cool off the light goes out and the bike runs perfectly for a few miles before it warms up and reverts to it's Turd like appeal.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Keith Turk; 01-06-2020 at 01:22 PM.

You will need to list the year of the bike and any modifications done to it ?

As requested above ^^^ What bike is it ? pics ? model ,yr ? is it a test bike ? etc.......

Certainly a "certified Harley Master tech" will do a diagnosis, before throwing a bunch of parts at it. What codes have been pulled from the ECM? What diagnosis has been performed? Specifically, which of the "several sensors" have been replaced?

I'm guessing you are now banking that bunch of keyboard warriors on the internet are going to be able to outsmart a trained, certified Harley master tech who has the bike in front of him. If thats the case, maybe you should find a new "certified Harley Master tech".
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 01-06-2020 at 03:31 PM.

Theres definitely more to this story. You can't have a CEL without a code.

Please list the specifics of the bike, the diagnostic steps you've done, what sensors you threw at it, and any info that can help a bunch of strangers that have never seen your bike... guess at your issue for you.

Do you have, and can you use any diagnostic tools like ECMDroid? ECMSpy, or TunerPro?

The bike is an 09 XB12XT I talked to my buddy with the bike and it did have some codes and I'm sorry to say I didn't collect them. I'll have him send them to me. I had several broken wires in the steering neck area that had to be repaired and an Idle speed controller. ( little electonic bit on the upper right side of the airbox ) and the O2 sensor I previously mentioned.

This question is going to have to go on hold until I get the bike back, we've decided on doing that in a week or two... the guy and I are really good, Old friends and won't let this affect that. it's just stuff. he's talked to harley's tech department several times and they keep bringing up the throttle body, but the fix is to install the new Part number that my bike already has and it tests fine.

So in retrospect.. I was premature putting this out there.. I should have waited to have the bike in my hands. Just tickled to find a group of enthusisasts for Buell's... I'd honestly never really looked for one. I bought this bike new... simply because I loved the concept of the bike and have grown to love the bike itself over the years. it's only got 15k miles on it. Mostly because I buy and sell bikes as a hobby and always have other junk to ride. The Ulysses is "my" bike.. it being broke like this is a shame... If you look up my name you'll find I really am a fairly competent mechanic.

Thanks for taking the time guys... I'll get back to you when I have the scooter.

So, your course of action is to take your Forever bike back from your trusted old friend, the certified Harley master mechanic... and start taking advice from a bunch of strangers on a forum?

Sounds legit.

41cBzIxKJXL.jpg

OK, you have asked a bunch of Buell enthusiasts for a favor to help you with a problem you haven't been able to fix. I think you'll find that most of us are ready to help a fellow Bueller that needs it.
    I believe I know what your issue is, but it will take a small amount of diagnosis to confirm it.

Since you and your friend are unable to fix this bike yourselves Be a a little humble.
    Remember you are asking strangers for a favor. You want us to diagnose your bike, for free, that both you, and your "certified Harley Master tech" friend have not been able to do.

This doesn't help:
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Turk View Post
    I'm generally a good mechanic...
    it's currently at a certified Harley Master tech's place
    the guy and I are really good....
    he's talked to harley's tech department several times... [and we ignored their advise](I added)
    you'll find I really am a fairly competent mechanic.
    BTW Keith, I do know who you are, I respect what you do, and ya, you should be able to fix this yourself We have several common acquaintances in the old T.E.N. circle, including DF. Your 'personality' comes off a little strong on a first post like that.

Welcome to BuellXB

With out any in-depth understanding of your Buells issue I’m going to shoot from the hip: cracked ECM, seat rubbing on it :-)
    electrical issues will make you humble or crazy...

Quote Originally Posted by pdksh View Post
    With out any in-depth understanding of your Buells issue I’m going to shoot from the hip: cracked ECM, seat rubbing on it :-)
    electrical issues will make you humble or crazy...
    My guess is a failing fuel pump.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast