Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ENGINE light with limp home mode?

Sea Foam to the rescue.

Best answers in order of likeliness:
    SEAFOAM - price is right
    FUELL PUMP - see Jon aka lunatic
    BROKEN ECM - good time for a factory tune

Common, need some updates

Don't forget the head temp sensor, that would trigger 'parade mode' and single cylinder operation. Easy to check with ECMDroid.

Here's the codes in the historic file

PO 154 oxygen sensor open
    PO 506 Idle air control system Rpm higher then expected
    PO 511 Idle air control curcuit fault
    PL 470 Exhaust Valve actuator stuck open

Thanks for your thougths and the Warm Welcome

I wouldn't loose too much sleep about "PL 470 Exhaust Valve actuator stuck open" - disable it with ECMspy.

Have you visually reviewed the ECM (take it out of the bike) and verified it has no visual damage. Is the ECM in the factory location or has it been relocated? I tucked mine up by the rear shock and fabricated a tiny bracket to hold it. Some people cut the bottom of the seat tray.

I normally record the errors from the ECM, clear them and do a test drive. I believe the O2 Sensor is easily replaced with an automotive sensor from NAPA, but you will need to check for a part number cross reference.

Keep us in formed.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Don't forget the head temp sensor, that would trigger 'parade mode' and single cylinder operation. Easy to check with ECMDroid.
    Cooter makes a good point here. Another tell-tale sign of a wonky head sensor is that your fan doesnt turn on at all when the bike is shut down after being run to full operating temperature.

You'll want to make sure the fan is actually functioning first on its own, but that is very simple to check with ECMDroid.

I've had head temp sensors fail, and it didn't light the CEL... however the lack of a fan running on shutdown and the sound of fuel boiling in the tank were sufficient to alert me to the issue.
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 01-10-2020 at 03:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pdksh View Post
    I wouldn't loose too much sleep about "PL 470 Exhaust Valve actuator stuck open" - disable it with ECMspy.

Have you visually reviewed the ECM (take it out of the bike) and verified it has no visual damage. Is the ECM in the factory location or has it been relocated? I tucked mine up by the rear shock and fabricated a tiny bracket to hold it. Some people cut the bottom of the seat tray.

I normally record the errors from the ECM, clear them and do a test drive. I believe the O2 Sensor is easily replaced with an automotive sensor from NAPA, but you will need to check for a part number cross reference.

Keep us in formed.
    I'd also do what pdksh said about disabling the exhaust valve in ECMDroid, then clear all historic codes, and then go take it for a run and see what it comes back with. If the O2 or IAC codes come back, then you know where to focus. It could be those codes have been stored from years ago, and have already been resolved.

I've had the Exhaust valve error pop up from time to time (I like the stock exhaust), but its never affected performance as I could tell.
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 01-10-2020 at 03:16 PM.

And John is calling out bad grounds. All are very likely culprits. I’m still betting on a bum ECM :-P

OK it’s January in Ontario. I am suffering from PMS (parked motorcycle syndrome) I need all the two wheeled stimulation I can get.

In response to Cooter's Head temp sensor? I don't have the bike, so I can't answer this... It's an interesting question.

Hmmm
    Last edited by Keith Turk; 01-10-2020 at 08:27 PM.

I hope someones right, but without diagnosis... we are all just guessing for you.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast