Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xb 12 r bad wheel bearings or ???

Xb 12 r bad wheel bearings or ???

When the bike is idile no prob then when starti g to rollslower speed has a vibration and sound that's very noticeable then once sped up its smooth out and when slow down vibration again I'm thinkn either head bearing or front wheel any other ideas feel definitely from front not wheel or balance bike has 17 k miles tooAttachment 12850

Front wheel bearings*** ???? The rim/ wheel I know is fine

Put the front on a paddock stand and spin the wheel.
    Or have a friend balance the bike on the kick stand and rear tire, spin the front wheel...

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Put the front on a paddock stand and spin the wheel.
    Or have a friend balance the bike on the kick stand and rear tire, spin the front wheel...
    So.if they r out I'll feel some roughness with it up in air and spin that will be obviously rough not smooth?

Yes ^^^^^^^ and also check for side to side play while your have each tire off the ground.

Even just LOOKING at them will help. Is there a lot of grease there? Do they look off-center? Take a wheel off and spin them by hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Even just LOOKING at them will help. Is there a lot of grease there? Do they look off-center? Take a wheel off and spin them by hand.
    I unfortunately don't have the tools to take wheel off ,,,,,, now if it's not the wheel bearing what else could cause that the bearing in the triple.tree or head ?? Or any other ideas

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixsasa View Post
    I unfortunately don't have the tools to take wheel off ,,,,,, now if it's not the wheel bearing what else could cause that the bearing in the triple.tree or head ?? Or any other ideas
    You may want to splurge and buy the tools to (at the very least) take the wheel off. Without those basic tools, it doesnt matter what advice or solution you are given, as you wont be able to fix it anyhow. Just because Cooter was able to do a bearing swap on the side of the road with a claw hammer, adjustable pliers and a butter knife doesn't mean that is the way it should be done.

To take the wheel off, you can buy the fancy official socket tool from Buell.

Or a easier and cheaper alternative is to find a spark plug socket and use it in reverse. Some of them have a hex end that fits the wheel socket (7/8"?). Just use the spark plug socket in reverse, with your wrench extension placed down the bore of the socket.

Could be just an out of balance wheel issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast