Thread: 12 primary gearing

12 primary gearing

It seems the popular thing to do for the 12 bikes is to swap in the 9 primary gearing. Has anyone swapped from the 9 gearing to the 12 gearing? At what power level would the 12 primary gearing feel quick in a 9 motor?

I dont think it ever would feel quick. I'd imagine it would just make the bike rev a little lower at highway speeds. However, if it winds up being a bit too tall for the 9 motor, you may find yourself downshifting under load in 5th. I imagine your motor is a bit more built than a stock 9, so its probably a non-issue... but I'm sure you'll let us know... right?

That’s what I’m getting at I guess. I haven’t been able to wind the motor out yet but even shifting at 5-6k it seems to be going through the gears really fast. Kinda worried about gear hunting as I’m doing spirited back road carving. I’m thinking with my engine modifications and the drivetrain modifications then the 12 gearing mite just do the trick. Just mite have to try and see. Anybody have any feedback on the evolution industries aluminum front primary sprocket?

I’ve done a few 9-12 and 12-9
    A stock xb9 I think feels smoother with a 12 gear set. 9s are a little under powered but it’s nice to wind higher in the gear. But basically you gain or lose about 6-10mph depending on which way you go xb12 to xb9 -10mph xb9 to xb12 +10
    If your running a 1150 hammer kit you will want to go to a 12 set up

I have an extra 9 front sprocket and chains. Anyone want to trade me straight up for a 12 sprocket and chains?