Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TPS reset failure

TPS reset failure

Having purchased a new dongle, connected to the bike and had look at things, I decided to do the TPS reset. That's where the trouble began. (well I had a feeling before hand things weren't right hence the reason for purchasing the dongle)
    20191116_135049[1].jpg
    At this point many things were said about the PO's family and his mental capacity.
    As I pulled the air box off to find a half arsed attempt to attach new earths with a loose coil, a decidedly dodgey breather reroute and not one single bolt I've touched resembling anything like 'tight' except for the cross threaded scoop bolt.
    I've retired from the garage for a minute to cool off and relax......'Jack and coke and a ciggy' and have a rant.
    My relaxing weekend is now going to be no so relaxing, filled with 1200 parts strewn around my workshop floor as I attempt to fix all those things I see wrong.

I really have no one to blame as I should have gone over it after I purchased it a couple of weeks ago....not left it till now. "sigh"
    There is generally a reason for a bike being cheap....I guess this is it.

so I pulled the coil to get a look at the idle adjuster....
    20191116_150820[1].jpg
    looks like a new idle adjuster cable and new lead is called for as the adjuster cable has massive wear marks on it as does the plug lead and the head. A general tidy up of the wiring, and re assembling of the battery box/ tail end as it hasn't been assembled properly. The PO told me he replaced the fan and fuel pump not long before I purchased it and I can see he didn't assemble things properly. That and the wire off cuts under the battery, a 3/8th nut, a rubber doofery from who knows where, loose fitting terminals from his earth wires that are almost disconnected and frayed and a lack of cable ties to secure things.....the list goes on.
    I did say when I bought it that I wanted to mess with it, but not quite this soon after purchase, I have really enjoyed thrashing around on it so far.

and I think I found the reason for the original throttle problem that had me attempting the TPS reset......which lead me to this:
    20191116_164950[1].jpg
    both cables are toast, barley hanging on by a thread and I'm going to assume the cause of the sticky/ slow to close issue. Not to mention the broken plastic piece at the other end with epoxy glue grabbing the cable as well from a PO repair.
    And the two pieces of the idle adjuster. I had to remove the bracket from the throttle body to get that piece out as the spring was fully compressed and jamming it.
    Explains now why things weren't adding up. TPS reset was never going to work with the idle adjuster jamming the valve open, and the cable in two pieces.
    So the list of new parts grows: Idle adjuster cable, both throttle cables and seeing as I'm this deep i'll throw some intake seals at it too....just to be sure.

Happy you found this before you were 100 miles from home! It's much easier to fix an issue if you are already in the garage with tools handy and a Jack n' Coke nearby

Hopefully thats all there is, but you will be much happier after a good look-see. PM me if you have trouble finding parts, Bubbles new SCG came with a HUGE box of new spares in new bags. I have oil plug o-rings to last until well after Mad Max meets Tina Turner in BarterTown

So am I, I said to the Mrs "there would be nothing worse than grabbing a handful and......nothing but idle". I think the only reason she threatened to bash me was the smirk as I said it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Happy you found this before you were 100 miles from home! It's much easier to fix an issue if you are already in the garage with tools handy and a Jack n' Coke nearby

Hopefully thats all there is, but you will be much happier after a good look-see. PM me if you have trouble finding parts, Bubbles new SCG came with a HUGE box of new spares in new bags. I have oil plug o-rings to last until well after Mad Max meets Tina Turner in BarterTown

Who runs Bueller Town?

Lunatic-Fringe runs Bueller Town!

^^^ " Bust a deal face the wheel " ^^^

It's on Netflix right now

I have just spoken to an HD dealer about the throttle cables and he tells me there is a difference between the Japanese model and the rest of the world models. He wanted to know the VIN number before he could give me a price as they were different!?
    I told him it was NOT a Japanese version as I also have one of those and it is very easy to tell to difference as the Japanese model has all the frame stickers in JAPANESE, Has HARLEY DAVIDSON JAPAN on the plate holder and the one I was ordering parts for DID not....there was silence on the phone.
    He wasn't very pleasant after that and quoted me $100 for EACH cable and then another $50 for the throttle adjuster, $250 all up, then told me it would be 4 weeks wait ex-USA.
    Probably charge me extra for freight to...

Having said that the Intake seals I ordered on Sunday arrived today.....$5 each plus $5 for postage...LOL

I want a frame sticker in all Japanese...

Fortunately I got my bike when new, so when I take something apart and its messed up, I can only blame me. They should have a test before they sell tools to just anyone...

Last edited by rb70383; 11-19-2019 at 09:32 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast