Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rocker Box Gaskets

Quote Originally Posted by mmcn49 View Post
    Thanks so much BellyBagger, exactly the information I needed! Found James kits for sportsters but no mention of Buell and didn't know if they would fit. My bikes are 07, XB12STT so the kit should fit. What size is your Lightning, 9 or 12?
    Hey no problem! the lightning was a 1200. I've actually sold it but have a new toy on the way hehe.

Come on Buelly, what are you getting now, inquiring minds want to know ?

Did the originals leak because of an install issue?

Since they weren't in there long before they started weeping, were they maybe not oiled at install? Are they supposed to be oiled at install?

Asking because that's on my -to do- list before the riding season starts again.

I had an HD dealer do my Ulysses the first time because I was chicken. They leaked after 2200 miles. I ordered james gaskets and took them with the bike back to harley and made them do it again(free labor I bought the gaskets) still not leaking as far as I know, the new owner of that bike and i are still in touch, he doesn't live far from me. The lightning I did myself, I cleaned all the rubber gaskets with alchohol before install and made sure the rocker boxes were squeaky clean. Sold that bike right after to forum member modrummer. He had it for 2 years, no leaks. HD gaskets just dont seem to handle the excessive heat from the buell engine orientation I guess

I would have thought HD gaskets were Buell OEM install?

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    I would have thought HD gaskets were Buell OEM install?
    I'm sure they are... that one failure of the replacement HD ones is the only experience I've had with HD gaskets. Other than the originals failing at about 8500 miles if I remember right. And it could've been something the mechanic did too.

I will add though that my 18 heritage developed a front rocker box leak @ 400 miles. At 3600 now after a new front gasket and still good. Harley's leak I guess lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12