Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another stupid engine noise thread

Yep... ^^^ works for me, blast style. I hoist up the rear wheel and manually turn the engine over in 5th gear looking for the tight spot. Adjust it there for a small 1/2 inch. No burnt fingers BUT would it have killed HDMC to have an easier way to turn over the motor. My punney arms ache for days after.

O.k., Cooter for the hearing impaired, could you give a little more detail about this method, please.

I like to start the bike up, turn the primary adjuster in, until the engine starts to stall. Then I back out the adjuster a 1/4 turn. I get the biggest wrench I have and crank the lock nut as tight as I can. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by njloco View Post
    O.k., Cooter for the hearing impaired, could you give a little more detail about this method, please.
    Heck, you can feel it by touching the cover if the bike has open pipes or Fabio Inc. nonsense. The sound/vibration is obvious and is very different from too tight and too loose. But if you don't have a Lunatic approved audiology degree (lol), best leave it to the 3/8"-1/2" measurement through the access hole (at the tightest spot of the chain).

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    stick to the service manual procedure. you don't have the audiology skills or temperment for this goofy method....you old bastard.
    Who ya callin' Goofy?? Haha. I would have bet big $$ you knew this method buddy. I was taught to do solid lifter V-8's the same way. I honestly feel its the most accurate

Quote Originally Posted by pdksh View Post
    I like to start the bike up, turn the primary adjuster in, until the engine starts to stall. Then I back out the adjuster a 1/4 turn. I get the biggest wrench I have and crank the lock nut as tight as I can. :-)

You and my dad would have got along

too funny

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12