Thread: Looking for Spoked Wheels

Looking for Spoked Wheels

Hello everyone, I'm not too well versed in all things Buell, so any help is appreciated & I am trying to get better about this.. But I recently bought an '08 lighting, love it! Caught the bug, went and found a bit of a project '08 firebolt... And now an '02 M2 cyclone. And that's where I'm asking for help.. Looking online, and through the forum I have found a few builds that are beautiful, one of them was purpony's X1 build. It looks like it's gone thru a few variations, and ended up with a set of Spoked Wheels. I did look at his site covering the build & reach out to him about his bike, but the wheels he has are not made anymore. I contacted the company and they "politely" responded that they would not be producing any of the Buell fitment. I have contacted a few other companies claiming to make custom builds, but to no response, except for two - wheelwrights & Woody's - both also said no, they couldn't help me.
    If anyone might have a suggestion of where I might try, that would be great! Thanks in advance!

" And now an '02 M2 cyclone. And that's where I'm asking for help "

02 M2 cyclone, face it, it's time for thicker glasses !

You could always swap in a new front end from a bike that uses spoked wheels... and I'd think a rear spoked wheel from a Sportster *should* be a possibility. You will need to think a bit outside the box, and will probably give up some handling as I'd imagine that Harley doesnt make a 17" spoked wheel.

You're probably going to have to do some deep digging to get the details. It wouldn't be the first time someone hacked a Buell into something, the factory never intended.
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 01-22-2020 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by njloco View Post
    " And now an '02 M2 cyclone. And that's where I'm asking for help "

02 M2 cyclone, face it, it's time for thicker glasses !
    Yeah I didn't catch that either. I've always thought cyclones looked best with then OE polished wheels, its kinda 90's retro that way. But the again I dont even need a pair of "readers " yet so maybe you elder folks have different tastes

I've poked around a bit and found the same info Lunatic did, including the cost

You can have wheels made for 'regular' rotors a little easier, but then swapping the front end drives the complexity and cost back up.

The idea of using existing performance spoke wheels and the matching front end off a donor bike is my plan so far and lucky me, it seems like they are getting more common. The MV's Dragster is still $$$ but I just had my heart skip a beat when the new 2020 Vitpilen 701 has the 401's spokes on it

Unknown-1.jpegUnknown.jpeg

Oh, sorry I wasn't more specific. It would be for the tube frame, but I would like to utilize an XB wheel/ suspension swap. Then switch to the "laced" wheels if possible.
    Thanks Cooter, I saw the same info about the wheels, but that thread info was from '09 , right?
    I also thought about going with a completely different bike front end to achieve that too.