Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: XB Frame Pucks...Possible Future Supply...I need your old Frame Pucks to do it

"For her protection"
    LOL

Thanks all for the great support, you really engouraged me to press ahead with spending the time and money to try to pull this off.

Mike (THANKS MIKE!) was able to get a unused puck for me to scan etc. This will be a long road as I need to scan the puck, clean up the files to the point that I can get them into the CAD in 3D, 3D print samples to check the geometry and finally get 2 injection molds cut and sampled. I don't want to mislead you but this could easily take 6-9 months from now....at least.

Just so I do not over promise, my goal is to reproduce the pucks so at a distance they look "factory". The texture may be a little different, I may not use the foam but instead add allot more internal ribbing (add more plastic). If I try to exactly duplicate what we use now it will cost 3X for the CAD and development work and frankly it would be years before enough were sold to pay for the molds (FYI Injection molds cost allot).

I will post my progress as I knock down the above mentioned steps, so you all know where I am at with the project and request help from you all (testing the first ones etc) as I need it.

When we get acceptable parts in stock, I will set up a simple website where we all can order them from. I will also let you all know here first as I am sure there will be some of us (me included that need them ASAP). This way you do not need to hunt around the web to find them initially. FYI, I will need to sell them as a pair as they will not look right with one old and one with the new molds. Guys they will be different, the Buell OEM pucks has just crazy curves all over them now that I will need to simplify to make this manageable.

Doug

Excellent Doug

keep us posted. This will be great. Thanks Doug!

I looked but didn't find anything, sorry man. I regret tossing all the scraped ones I've replaced over the years (keep it down 34:19!)lol.

I wonder if someone knows where the originals were made? Getting ahold of the existing moulds may be easier?

Using them to sandcast more? I dunno, just throwing ideas out there. I really appreciate the effort Doug!

Hi Guys! I promised to keep you all in the loop on the puck progress. I have completed the scans of the puck I acquired and so far everything is looking really good. I have a little tweaking to do on the profile but I am really happy with the progress so far. If everything goes well I will start the construction of the new injection molds the week of the 24th of March. First samples will come off the molds about 10 weeks thereafter.
    Doug

Excited to see the results!

This is great! Kudos sir

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    I looked but didn't find anything, sorry man. I regret tossing all the scraped ones I've replaced over the years (keep it down 34:19!)lol.

I wonder if someone knows where the originals were made? Getting ahold of the existing moulds may be easier?

Using them to sandcast more? I dunno, just throwing ideas out there. I really appreciate the effort Doug!
    BMP mfg.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    BMP mfg.
    Thats awesome info Lunatic Thanks for sharing

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast