Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2005 XB9SX Hard time starting

2005 XB9SX Hard time starting

Hello!
    This is my first post on this forum. I just bought my 2005 XB9SX. I’m very excited and trying to get née parts and sort through the problems.
    I drove it for about 350 miles the first day and it ran great!
    The only
    Major problem I can’t work out is when I turn on the bike I need to give it a little throttle to get it to start. After holding the throttle at about 1,200 RPMs for a few seconds it will idle and I can drive it normally.
    I noticed when I first bought it, it idled low at 750 RPM
    So I adjusted idle to 1k hoping that was the problem and it didn’t help.
    I’m in El Paso, Tx so temperature isn’t super low
    Around the 50s right now.

Also forgot to mention it has a drummer exhaust . That’s the only modification I’m aware of

Welcome to Buells and our motley forum!

I have an '09 XB9SX and much like you I had the same problems but actually worse. I had to hit the starter button like 6 times, it would crank but have a really hard time catching. Sometimes had to twist the throttle like you're doing. Then it would ride fine, and start on a warm engine without problems.

Turns out it was a bad fuel pump assembly (they're a known weak point on our bikes). Or more specifically, there's a flex hose within the assembly that developed a pinhole. The pump consequently couldn't develop enough pressure to start the bike.

This can be hard to diagnose unless you have a way of monitoring pressure at the fuel rails. Most of us just rebuild/replace the fuel pump assembly as a preventive measure. Your 15 year old bike is certainly old enough to be at risk.

Look up "Barrett" on this forum. He's our gentleman guru on all things Buell, and will set you up with whatever parts your need.

This is just my first guess. There can be a dozen other gremlins at play.
    Other basic things - Have you checked your spark plugs as well to make sure they're not fouled? Air filter new and clean?
    Also a good idea to get a "Buelltooth" attachment to read your ECM to test things like your fuel injectors, pump, fan etc.

Everything Endo said. Also, with the buelltooth, you will want to do a tps reset, following the correct procedure off backing your idle screw out until your throttle shuts completely, resetting TPS, then setting idle screw for 1,050 rpm's (I have an XB12, not sure if it's the same on the 9's). Congrats on the purchase, I always liked the looks of the CityX.

Thank you guys! I’ll try all of that!
    I ordered a cable to do the ecm spy tps reset! I wish I wish I knew about the buelltooth before but that’s okay I’ll pick one up in a bit!
    I appreciate the helpful advice!

Quote Originally Posted by cluthi View Post
    Thank you guys! I’ll try all of that!
    I ordered a cable to do the ecm spy tps reset! I wish I wish I knew about the buelltooth before but that’s okay I’ll pick one up in a bit!
    I appreciate the helpful advice!
    If you can cancel the cable order, you may want to do that. The Buelltooth guy often offers tunes for the various bikes with different exhausts when you buy the Buelltooth adapter. Some love 'em, some hate 'em. IMO, he's a pretty smart cookie, but he wont talk to me. I think Cooter told him I keep cheap beer or something. Cooter is a j3rk!

34:19 means the tunes can be liked or disliked. The Buelltooth, bluetooth dongle has been flawless for me. It works wirelessly with ECMDroid which is VASTLY easier to use for simple diagnosis and tune swapping. If you desire to make a custom tune of your own, that is where programs like ECMSpy and TunerPro shine.

Lots of good advise above, including me being a j3rk

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    If you can cancel the cable order, you may want to do that. The Buelltooth guy often offers tunes for the various bikes with different exhausts when you buy the Buelltooth adapter. Some love 'em, some hate 'em. IMO, he's a pretty smart cookie, but he wont talk to me. I think Cooter told him I keep cheap beer or something. Cooter is a j3rk!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    34:19 means the tunes can be liked or disliked. The Buelltooth, bluetooth dongle has been flawless for me. It works wirelessly with ECMDroid which is VASTLY easier to use for simple diagnosis and tune swapping. If you desire to make a custom tune of your own, that is where programs like ECMSpy and TunerPro shine.

Lots of good advise above, including me being a j3rk

So when I looked up buelltooth their website states they no longer sell them, they’re now distributed through revision motorcycles website.
    Is the rev Moto the place you’re referring to that help with the tunes?

And cheap beer is the only way to enjoy working on any bike lol

So when I looked up buelltooth their website states they no longer sell them, they’re now distributed through revision motorcycles website. [/QUOTE]

Revision Moto is Buelltooth. If you go to www.buelltooth.com, you are automatically redirected to Revision Moto's web page. I dont know what webpage you were visiting, but it wasnt Buelltooths. Even if you go into google, and just type "buelltooth", the very first listing is Revision Moto's webpage. Try it, it works... really.

http://letmegooglethat.com/?q=buelltooth

Is the rev Moto the place you’re referring to that help with the tunes?

https://www.rev-mo.com/maps

or this link: http://letmegooglethat.com/?q=buelltooth+maps

​From the Revision Moto webpage:

Below is a list of ECM Calibration files that can be easily loaded on to Buell ECMs using a BUELLtooth device and the free EcmDroid application. To request a file please use the form at the bottom of the page. These files contain the fuel and timing calibration (maps) made for bikes with a particular configuration.

And cheap beer is the only way to enjoy working on any bike lol
    Probably need to lay off the beer when posting on a forum.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    Probably need to lay off the beer when posting on a forum.
    As if that's ever stopped you and Cooter?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast