Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: preparing for rear rocker gasket leak

Also go ahead and replace the breather and grommet while it's accessible is cheap and once you get you it you can see if it's been leaking as well. You'll also need a torque wrench in inch pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by djs2k2 View Post
    Also go ahead and replace the breather and grommet while it's accessible is cheap and once you get you it you can see if it's been leaking as well. You'll also need a torque wrench in inch pounds.
    Quote from lunaticfringe: 5-check your breather grommet which resides in each rocker cover. they need to be reasonably soft and supple for them to seal properly. if not replace both while the covers are off.

Good looking out bro

If you could take pic's along the way that would be nice.

Here's a little old secret, linseed oil restores most types of rubber, just make sure you wipe off all the excess.

Quote Originally Posted by njloco View Post
    Here's a little old secret, linseed oil restores most types of rubber, just make sure you wipe off all the excess.
    That's some oldskool info there! Good tip for the whipper snappers.

Quote Originally Posted by njloco View Post
    That's the stuff I'm lookin for! Thanks for all the advice guys. I probably won't have time to get to it until the weather in Phoenix is too hot to ride, but I'll post more once I get into it. My father in law has some extra garage space I can probable use for a weekend so I don't have to do it in my driveway. I've also got some new plugs and wires to throw on while I've got everything off.

IMG_5025.jpg

After cleaning it up and some short rides, I had decided it was just some seepage. Then took a 2.5 hr ride today and when I got home this was the puddle that formed. Luckily my father in law just built a new garage for his RV, so I can hopefully squat in an extra space for a bit. One question I still have is the correct kit to get. I'm not 100% sure it's the cover gasket, so I'm leaning toward a full James kit and replacing everything. Is this overkill? The number I have is JGI-17049-07-X from one of John's old replies, but then someone mentioned an incorrect pushrod cover o-ring in that kit. Is there a better option, or still do this code and get the pushrod o-ring from ST-P? I'm planning on getting intake seals too, should I do the James blue?

Since you are going to pull/rotate the motor, then go for it. They are extremely difficult to put in place with a un rotated motor. And I *think* I have a spare set of stock intake seals in case it goes sideways. Difficult is probably not the right word, they are just tight fitting due to the design of the blue seals.

If your going to do intake seals while you're in there, I would highly recommend the specialty tool:

Thanks, guys. Good call on the wrench. Can anyone please confirm the rocker box gasket kit? I think I'm just going to go ahead and do front/rear cover and lower box gaskets, along with any other gaskets included in the big kit. I saw someone say the James kit has the wrong pushrod o-ring, so I'm guessing I just get the Buell one separate from SPHD. I'll be sure to post pictures when I tackle it, as I feel completely indebted to you all for all the great advice. If it weren't for poring over this site before getting my bike, I'd be riding something much less unique just to have the distribution channels.

Last edited by RidetheLightning; 03-30-2020 at 08:08 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast