Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: preparing for rear rocker gasket leak

Inactive
    JGI-17049-07-X.....correct James # for all 07 and up XB's
    JGI-17049-or-X ......correct James # for all 03-06 XB's

I can't answer the o-ring question, but if it was TPEHAK that posted that, take it with a HUGE grain of salt.

I've done that job with James gaskets and they all worked out well. Still though, it could be a year difference or something (beyond the obvious Thunderstorm difference)? It's not really that difficult a job if you know your way around a toolbox. Once the motor is rotated everything pretty straightforward.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    I can't answer the o-ring question, but if it was TPEHAK that posted that, take it with a HUGE grain of salt.

I've done that job with James gaskets and they all worked out well. Still though, it could be a year difference or something (beyond the obvious Thunderstorm difference)? It's not really that difficult a job if you know your way around a toolbox. Once the motor is rotated everything pretty straightforward.
    I
    After looking through old threads again, couldn't find the reference, so I think I'm good with the JGI-17049-07-X per John. Now I'm just deciding whether to go with Hylomar unversal blue or RTV black. I saw MCMN recommend hylomar, and silverrider used RTV i and around the gasket groove, both with no issues. I'm probably overthinking it, but don't want a leak or a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by RidetheLightning View Post
    Thanks, guys. Good call on the wrench. Can anyone please confirm the rocker box gasket kit? I think I'm just going to go ahead and do front/rear cover and lower box gaskets, along with any other gaskets included in the big kit. I saw someone say the James kit has the wrong pushrod o-ring, so I'm guessing I just get the Buell one separate from SPHD. I'll be sure to post pictures when I tackle it, as I feel completely indebted to you all for all the great advice. If it weren't for poring over this site before getting my bike, I'd be riding something much less unique just to have the distribution channels.
    It is really easy ,https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpOH2Uf8u9c

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    JGI-17049-07-X.....correct James # for all 07 and up XB's
    JGI-17049-or-X ......correct James # for all 03-06 XB's
    In case anyone else is looking for just the rocker cover/base gasket kit (i.e. not entire top end rebuild), the code appears to be JGI-17030-07-X. This is what I will be installing once my stands come in.
    Last edited by RidetheLightning; 04-27-2020 at 09:14 PM.

Just completed RB seal replacements on both of my Buell's. The HD rocker box seals are up to Revision-C and are good quality, (unlike what came on the bike). With the engine rotated replacing the Throttle Body seals is IMO a must do and as LF said, also replace the PCV valve doughnut seals. You can purchase everything needed from SPHD. (Upgraded cover bolt seals, PVC seals, HD rocker box seals and Genuine James throttle body seals).

Quote Originally Posted by mmcn49 View Post
    Just completed RB seal replacements on both of my Buell's. The HD rocker box seals are up to Revision-C and are good quality, (unlike what came on the bike). With the engine rotated replacing the Throttle Body seals is IMO a must do and as LF said, also replace the PCV valve doughnut seals. You can purchase everything needed from SPHD. (Upgraded cover bolt seals, PVC seals, HD rocker box seals and Genuine James throttle body seals).
    Good to know on the HD seals. Are the PCV and cover bolt seals in the kit? Ordering James blue from SPHD for sure. Already got the James rocker kit.
    Last edited by RidetheLightning; 04-30-2020 at 05:41 PM.

Good to know on the HD seals. Are the PCV and cover bolt seals in the kit? Ordering James blue from SPHD for sure. Already got the James rocker kit.
    I don't know what is in the James RB kit. If you already have the kit go through it and see whats there. If the James kit has paper gasket cover bolt seals it IMO would be worth purchasing the HD updated bolt seals from SPHD.

Alright, I know this was an older post, but life happened and car repairs took priority over my bike. Finally ordering some of the extra parts recommended to replace while I've got the engine rotated/apart, which includes O2 sensor, intake seals, header gaskets, and pcv grommets. I couldn't find the actual PCV valves, and someone mentioned a "cover bolt seal", not sure what exactly that was. Is it common to need to replace the PCV valve itself, and does anyone know what the "cover bolt seal" may be?

Alright, I know this was an older post, but life happened and car repairs took priority over my bike. Finally ordering some of the extra parts recommended to replace while I've got the engine rotated/apart, which includes O2 sensor, intake seals, header gaskets, and pcv grommets. I couldn't find the actual PCV valves, and someone mentioned a "cover bolt seal", not sure what exactly that was. Is it common to need to replace the PCV valve itself, and does anyone know what the "cover bolt seal" may be?
    Here. Look at the pics on the left.

Parts 15&16

Last edited by 34nineteen; 10-07-2020 at 03:01 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123