Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buell Schwinn Paramount - bicycle content

Yes multiple brands tried the extension shock but I think they all came after this one after it placing so well in the dh race. Maybe Im wrong on that but that is what I was reading about it.

If we are getting into just general bicycle history my favorite is Rotec Pro DH bike. I particularly like this one rebuilt in a yamaha theme. It used a swingarm and linkage like a dirtbike.
    p5pb14671502.jpg
    Last edited by konarider94; 02-26-2020 at 08:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by konarider94 View Post
    Yes multiple brands tried the extension shock but I think they all came after this one after it placing so well in the dh race. Maybe Im wrong on that but that is what I was reading about it.

If we are getting into just general bicycle history my favorite is Rotec Pro DH bike. I particularly like this one rebuilt in a yamaha theme. It used a swingarm and linkage like a dirtbike.
    p5pb14671502.jpg
    Ok, I will confess that I am not up to speed on this bike but a quick google made me realize the cool factor here.

1. Tara Llanes once rode these.
    2. It looks like the main pivot rotates around the BB? How cool is that? Granted it’s still “just a single pivot”, but very cool! Only a couple other bikes came with this setup, the Lenz Sport Milkmoney and the Kona A. One other bike that did that was the Schwinn Rocket 88, which I consider the granddaddy of all the short dual link bikes (VPP/dw-link) that are all the rage today.
    Don’t get me wrong, I’m not knocking single pivot bikes. They have been around a long time, they can be really robust, and when done right they can work really well. I will have to read up on the Rotec more, as it seems to be pretty darn cool. I used to own a Storm H2 DH bike back in the very early 2000’s. I just don’t have the cajones to ride a DH bike the way it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Endopotential View Post
    Woah, 34:19 you are the hot schnizzle bike guru! You definitely know the history of mtn bike design well!

I have an old Litespeed Tsali with the YBB link, which I still think is one of the best bikes ever made.
    Is the Tsali a Ti bike? I know for awhile Lightspeed had some aluminum bikes, but a Ti soft tail is pretty f’cking sweet. All that’s needed is a singlespeed conversion (with an ENO hub) or figure out how to “magic gear” it and you will have knocked Silverrider off his pedestal of coolest Buell rider ever.

As you can tell, I have an affinity for singlespeeds. And nothing is quite as much fun as a nimble, light 26” wheeled singlespeed.

Quote Originally Posted by njloco View Post
    I'm guessing it has to do with the sprocket teeth ratio front to versus rear ?
    Yup! Nailed it.

34 tooth gear up front / nineteen tooth gear in the back.

Now you know my secret.

It is a single pivot but there is a linkage between the shock and the swingarm. A lot of bikes still use a link driven single pivot but in a much different orientation. For sure the BB being the pivot is not very common.

The wheelbase must be pretty damn long to fit a shock between the bb and the rear tire. Im sure its stable. Ive never ridden one but I would like to. I think I just like it because it really looks like someone used dirtbike geometry to create a pedal bike.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    Is the Tsali a Ti bike? I know for awhile Lightspeed had some aluminum bikes, but a Ti soft tail is pretty f’cking sweet. All that’s needed is a singlespeed conversion (with an ENO hub) or figure out how to “magic gear” it and you will have knocked Silverrider off his pedestal of coolest Buell rider ever.
    As you can tell, I have an affinity for singlespeeds. And nothing is quite as much fun as a nimble, light 26” wheeled singlespeed.
    I'm pretty stoked that bicycles are getting so much attention on this macho manly motorcycle forum!

Yes the Tsali is made from 6/4 Unobtainium with really cool custom shaped tubes. It's been nearly indestructable after almost 20 years, and still the lightest and most efficient mtn bike I've ridden.
    Now to figure out that singlespeed conversion... though we got way too many steep hills here in NorCal.

I'm lucky to have Nic's cafe racer Buell, but I would never aspire to compete with Silverrider and all his cool motos!

Quote Originally Posted by konarider94 View Post
    It is a single pivot but there is a linkage between the shock and the swingarm. A lot of bikes still use a link driven single pivot but in a much different orientation. For sure the BB being the pivot is not very common.

The wheelbase must be pretty damn long to fit a shock between the bb and the rear tire. Im sure its stable. Ive never ridden one but I would like to. I think I just like it because it really looks like someone used dirtbike geometry to create a pedal bike.
    It probably is a fairly long wheelbase, but that’s not a bad thing on a DH race bike. Hopefully, it’s not too hard to mount a fender to cover that rear shock. And hopefully it also has water bottle mounts to keep the Pinkbike commenters at bay.

Well, whatever you do, don’t ride one. I’ve had a chance to pick up a few of my “dream bikes of yesteryear” and have always been left disappointed. Never meet your heroes, I guess.

P .S. if I see you commenting on pinkbike, I’m going to troll you. Lol. All in good fun, of course !
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 02-26-2020 at 10:46 PM.

Lol I am on pinkbike with the same username, so game on you single speed masochist. I rarely comment though, I'm mostly on it just to keep up with bike stuff and look for deals in the classifieds.

I just scored a new process 153 cr frame yesterday looking in the buysell section. Which funny you mention it a big reason I wanted to upgrade from my older process 134 was the addition of a water bottle inside the frame on the newer models.

You are definitely correct in be careful meeting your heroes. They rarely live up to expectations.

Too bad I got rid of all my Kona marketing stuff. I had a banner or two and some other promo stuff.

I’ve owned a few Kona’s, mostly Hei-Hei 29ers. It’s nice that they still dabble in Ti and steel.

I’ll make sure to use my name on here if I heckle you (all in good fun, of course).
    I rarely read the comments, though.

A banner would have been cool.

Just started building a hei hei 29er for my gf this weekend. Looks like a fun bike.

Also into the steel frame stuff. I have a honzo st that I build up a year or two ago, but right now really looking forward to the new carbon process headed my way.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12