Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Let's get dirty!

Silver. Are you dirt riding or on some special ops assignment?

Stay clear of:
    1. Deep sand
    2. Loose gravel
    3. Mud

Oh wait! That's what off roading is!

I would recommend (as others have said) good tires. I'd stay clear of 50/50 tires and anything with a strip in the center. It really depends on how often you plan to ride off road. But eventually you'll encounter all the above and you'll be glad you had the right tire. Remember, everything is a compromise. A good dirt tire will not last long on the pavement. A good road tire will not work well in the dirt. My thumper came with saharas. blah. I really like pirelli scorpion XC mid hard. Loaded (the bike) it will start to wobble with just a slight shift in weight (cause the knobbies) but their great in the dirt. I also like Michelin T63. A little longer life on the tarmack but good in the dirt.

When I started to get dirty I bought a pressure suit and MX boots. Good investments IMHO. BTW fully loaded with a T63 in back and worn scorpion in front I topped out at just under a buck on the tarmack.

You may rethink lowered pegs off road.

Take it easy till you get your dirt legs.

I am the King ! LOL

IMG_0899.jpg

I went and picked this up a few months back. I'm still in break-in. I've not been off road yet. Hoping to ride the TAT in the future. My friend came along and bought one also. He got the red one and I bought the black one. Both new - 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300 - fuel injected. Gonna be fun.

CjCDVxfb.jpg
    E04ceVeb.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/CjCDVxf.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/E04ceVe.jpg
    Last edited by lancruza; 03-01-2020 at 03:08 AM.

Currently running a metzler karoo 3 on the rear and a tkc 80 on the front. The reviews I've read on them seem promising. I believe they are catorgerized as 60/40 tires. They run out well on pavement so far, no head shake even at ludacris speed.
    I'm not so sure my riding gear is really adventure spec. But I dont think its terrible? My main jacket is a fly racing butane 4season. Wearing bilt kevlar jeans. Icon 49er gloves which I think I need something a bit more substantial there. And icon prep 1000 boots, which are pretty water proof and have good protection in the sole and a shin protector. Not anything as tough as mx boots, but I'm hoping they're good enough.

So....
    Cooter, What would you recommend for a starter off road bike?

Quote Originally Posted by rb70383 View Post
    So....
    Cooter, What would you recommend for a starter off road bike?
    Thats like asking whats your favorite work boot, lol. Fists will be flyin'!

It's way too personal a question, RB, to get a real answer with a model number. Your size, M/C experience, brand preference, opinions, your neighbors "I started with a..." stories, and what you specifically intend to do "off-road" will let you hone in on the perfect bike... eventually

So I'll answer in the most generic, but honest way possible

Real "off roading"?
    Get the newest 4 stroke you can afford, sized for you, strongly keeping in mind the "cheap" rule

No lights, no plates, small enough to barely get your feet down, but strong enough to spin the rear tire and get your fat butt up a steep hill It should be CHEAP so you don't care about how it looks, but nice enough you can trust the engine, suspension, and brakes.

If you mean "overlanding",The BMW GS has had the lock on that since... well, I think they invented that Luxo-capable class of bikes. If you have the wallet to support the purchase, maintenance, and the inevitable BMW Motorrad dress code, you won't be sad about it.

Personally I don't need seat heaters and sat radio so much that I can't pick up my own transportation.

But you're in LUCK!
    All the Mfg's have really brought some STELLAR bikes into the dual-sport category. You can pick the one you like just like you pick tires. 50/50? 60/40?, 80/20? Theres a bike out there that fits.
    To name names:
    The Kawi Versys is a super well done moto that can truly do everything. Get the big one if you're mostly street, get the small one if you're mostly dirt. I've ridden the 650 as hard as I can and was very impressed. They aren't pretty (sorry LF), they aren't fast, but I would seriously consider buying one and thats always the best compliment someone can give.

Tigers are a solid choice as well. They finally have better suspension and some power. Low seat heights if thats your thing, and I still think Triumph makes the slickest transmission available. I rented one for a weekend and sharpened the pegs on every corner, but didn't do much dirt on it so I don't have an opinion.

KTM has more dirt and power focused bikes. Those crazy Austrians will get a championship winning race bike, slap on bag mounts and call it good. If words like Hyper, intense, or extreme, scare you then maybe you shouldn't stare in the orange corner for your first bike.

IMO the Africa Twin is the best looking (the only decent looking) bike in this whole segment Well, maybe the Tiger too? I have never ridden one, but reading the spec sheet/reviews, and looking up close, they do have all the goods. I heard that Honda knows a thing or 2 about building bikes and I'd like to try one soon.

TL;DR
    I'm putting the TKC-80's back on Stella because whatever gets you out there... is the 'right' bike

CHEAP was my main choosing point for my purpose. I'm not going to divulge exactly what I paid for this Ulysses, but it was such a good deal I couldn't pass up having it shipped to Nebraska from north Dakota in between two major snow storms, in January.
    So, on this point I definitely agree with cooter. Cheap and reliable I think is the best way to get started in any hobby

I can smell it tooooooo!!!! Lol!! Cody do you have to take a nap between the novels too? Just asking.
    Last edited by rchuff; 03-01-2020 at 10:42 PM.

Hey Buelly check this out,

https://youtu.be/16DIkJ37dvY

This guy did some u tube vids on off roading with a Ully, in this one he's trying to do single track and his buddy is on a DR400. While he seems to be able to do it, I can't tell what the fun factor is but his buddy seems to be working a lot less than he is and breaking less also, notice how much he sinks into the mud even though he is able to motor out of it pretty easily.

From what I can gather off the net, the KTM 790 R will pretty much run rings around most mid and full size adventure bikes out there at the present time. It can do single track though not quite as well as an enduro or dirt bike, the 790 can really go depending on one's ability.

P.S. Mototrek has good stuff but for us on the east coast and midwest I think off road is different than out west, now I'm not talking about the Northwest. It always seems so open where they're riding, even in the rockies . I'm leaning more towards a dual sport (DR650) or maybe something like the DR400 which is much lighter than an adventure bike, how about a DRZ400SM, they can go off road way better than a Ully and also handle very nicely in the Twisties as well as being pretty fast and a lot of fun to ride. Choices, choices, so many bikes, so little time.

This is what the KTM 790 R can do to the other adventure and duel sport bikes, this guy rips them a new one !

https://youtu.be/54TIgLtVsys

Last edited by njloco; 03-02-2020 at 04:11 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast