Thread: 2010 Buell XB12Scg Idle Speed

2010 Buell XB12Scg Idle Speed

Hi all,

I have a 2010 Buell XB12Scg that is all stock other than a K&N air filter and a Hawk exhaust and I am wanting to adjust the idle speed. The factory set idle speed of 900-950 RPM is too high in my opinion and I would like to drop it down to something like 750-800 if I can. There is nothing wrong with the bike and the only reason I want to do this is so that it sounds better when idling at a light, right now, IMO, it sounds like a very loud lawnmower.
    I know that this bike has no external idle adjustment screw like the 07 and earlier bikes and that the idle speed is controlled by the ECM but I have heard that is possible to adjust the idle speed using ECMSpy. My question is what setting should I change in ECMSpy to achieve my goal. I'm not super savvy with the tool and just looking through all the settings available is a bit intimidating. It would be helpful to know precisely which setting(s) to change so that I don't mess up the rest of my tune.
    Will doing this be bad for the bike in anyway ie. too low oil pressure at idle?

Any help would be appreciated.

Gord

Quote Originally Posted by Ggeezer View Post
    Hi all,

I have a 2010 Buell XB12Scg that is all stock other than a K&N air filter and a Hawk exhaust and I am wanting to adjust the idle speed. The factory set idle speed of 900-950 RPM is too high in my opinion and I would like to drop it down to something like 750-800 if I can. There is nothing wrong with the bike and the only reason I want to do this is so that it sounds better when idling at a light, right now, IMO, it sounds like a very loud lawnmower.
    I know that this bike has no external idle adjustment screw like the 07 and earlier bikes and that the idle speed is controlled by the ECM but I have heard that is possible to adjust the idle speed using ECMSpy. My question is what setting should I change in ECMSpy to achieve my goal. I'm not super savvy with the tool and just looking through all the settings available is a bit intimidating. It would be helpful to know precisely which setting(s) to change so that I don't mess up the rest of my tune.
    Will doing this be bad for the bike in anyway ie. too low oil pressure at idle?

Any help would be appreciated.

Gord
    This ^^^

You may also have issue getting the bike revved up from idle, as now you will be reducing the inertia of the crank. It may not be a big deal or barely even noticeable. I'd be more concerned about the lower oil pressure at idle.
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 03-02-2020 at 06:08 PM.

X2

Don't do it. It's already a little too low.

Our XB 12's idle speed is around 1200 rpm.

My 08 is right at 950-1000, I would listen to what they're suggesting to you.

Okay, if you guys think it's a bad idea then I'll leave well enough alone.

Thanks for the input.

I heard this as well. Also that it may cause issues with the crank pin, Something about lower harmonics?? I cant find that thread, so probably not true, as to the reason. Sux, cause I love that slow idle.

Anyone throw a gauge on to see actual oil pressure?

Well, if you read the instructions to the LF Industries Hell-Fire v3.0 exhaust, it calls out to use a lower idle for maximum effect.

Here is John showing off his buff ponies to his neighbors. I think he's had one too many Rolling Rocks.

Those sparks are just pieces of the valves, nothing to see here

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Those sparks are just pieces of the valves, nothing to see here
    That is cool. Valvetrain that self lightens itself for performance.....Where the hell have I been??