Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two questions about turn signal issue - need to order parts soon and want to be clear

Two questions about turn signal issue - need to order parts soon and want to be clear

All,

Rear left turn signal out. Turned out not to be bulb. While troubleshooting, all turn signals quit working (other lights, indicators okay). No fuses from fusebox blown.

From other threads, this would seem to indicate flasher replacement time. However - two questions:

1 - is the Novita' EP36 still the preferred flasher unit I need to get?

2 - NOWHERE is this answered in the other threads on the topic - *where* is the "system fuse" that seems to be mentioned in the service manual procedure (step 2 I believe). This is that you need to "pry the circuit breaker from the left side and remove it with wires on". What the H is this talking about? I see nothing on the "left" side of the current flasher unit. The service manual pic (of course) does not indicate where this circuit breaker is (or what it is).

Would love some help as I have limited time at home (family health issues/terminal illness - father's - requiring care away from home) to order parts.

Answered my own question on where the circuit breakers are - the main C/B is actually "behind" the flasher (in relation to the rear of the bike). The tab to pry is on the "left side" of that assembly. Figure 7-42 was most helpful (in the manual)

Am I correct in that if everything else is working well (lights/horn/speedo/etc.), the main C/B is just fine? If so, this issue kind of has to be the flasher, correct?

So is the Novita' EP-36 what I need?

I would definitely go with what the original one is. As long as you still have stock signals. If that is what it says on the side of the flasher relay, go with in. Sorry to here about your situation. I can definitely relate.
    Last edited by chief_of_smoke; 03-04-2020 at 06:12 PM.

Inactive
    Jay: go with what Chris recommended and replace with stock. part # is Y0621.MD-----SUFFIX B4S. list is $16.90 and still plenty in the system. it's made in spain by Guilera and fits all XB's and i believe Blast as well.
    cross-reference is non-LED Novita EL13A-2 via ford parts bin but does not have the little metal mounting bracket attached.

your stocker----

xb.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    Jay: go with what Chris recommended and replace with stock. part # is Y0621.MD-----SUFFIX B4S. list is $16.90 and still plenty in the system. it's made in spain by Guilera and fits all XB's and i believe Blast as well.
    cross-reference is non-LED Novita EL13A-2 via ford parts bin but does not have the little metal mounting bracket attached.

your stocker----

xb.jpg
    Thanks, John - will do. Any chance you have one in stock?

Inactive
    sure thing jay and no sir...i don't keep them in stock because of their ready availability. if you can't source one down there in SW VA then try st. paul...new castle...lancaster...hannum's....or i'll fetch you one thru the system.

i know you mentioned that all your electrical components up front are working normally....but while you're in there, using either the SM or eye-balling them, i would still check your grounds and specifically if the leads have snapped off from their terminals. and the dreaded "chafed red wire" scenario can also cause intermittent flasher problems.
    HOW TO CHECK IT? simple.
    turn both key and kill switch to on
    activate either left or right turn signal....matters not which
    now SLOWLY and deliberately turn steering from left full lock to right full lock
    watch for gauges sweeping....signals stop flashing
    second test: do the same procedure as above BUT....keeping the steering straight dead-center....locate and move your main wiring harness where it runs past and wraps around the steering neck.
    wiggle it....common sense pulling on it....disturb its stock location
    if anything changes the hidden red front power wire has issues.

Perfect, John - will do!

I picked up a Novita EP36 from Autozone last night for $12 and it worked perfectly with the stock blinkers, and the LEDs I installed. Just throwing it out there.

All good - I got the stock flasher from St. Paul's HD and installed everything yesterday. Grounds cleaned and checked while battery was out of bike.

For what it is worth, EZ (*the Blast expert other than N. Oberg and J. Lee) recommends the EP-36 as it works for both LED and stock signals. That said, as John notes, the OEM flasher is designed with the mounting bracket attached - and it was easy to get as well...about $20 shipped.

Thanks to all for the help - nice to have the Blast street legal again.

The plastic cases should be the same though. You should be able to pull the bracket off the stock flasher and slide it on the EP-36.

Glad it got fixed, time for some social distancing!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast