Thread: Speedometer woes...

Speedometer woes...

Died. CEL comes on after 3-5' of driving. Replaced the speed sensor today. Still dead. It was a HD sensor that was not a direct replacement...came with the wiring harness and connector which I had to remove and connect to the existing wires (3). Any ideas/suggestions greatly appreciated.

thanks!

What code is the CEL indicating?

I think it was 34...speed sensor short?

Does the speedo work or not? The CEL will take some time to clear.

Is the HD part the right part? Did you wire it correctly? The correct sensor is available. They are not all the same. You should not have to change the connector.

Your answers can be only as good as your questions. No info. No answer

Does the speedo and tach needles sweep when you cycle the key?
    Have you checked for power on the plug?
    Have you checked your fuses to make sure none are blown?
    Have you verified the new speedometer sensor is working correctly? The service book goes into great detail on page 7-57.

Are you sure it’s trouble code 34? I looked in my 2004 Lightning service book and it does not show a code 34. Did you mean code 24? If so that it for the ignition coil and the speed sensor replacement will likely not solve it. Maybe it trouble code 44? Did you check to voltages on sensor as per pages 4-83, 4-85 and 4-86. Maybe you meant code 35 which is the tachometer? Now we are at least at the instrument cluster. I get the tach and speedo confused often. According to the service book (page 4-76) code 35 will set if the PK tachometer wire is shorted to power or ground”. Have you checked that?

I’m going to guess you really meant code 54. You need an ECM.

I also looked at the 2008 book and it shows code 34 has nothing to do with the speedometer sensor.

My book for the 97 Cyclone has nothing referring to trouble codes at all that I could find.

Let me see if I can find my 1125 book.
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 03-07-2020 at 10:27 PM.

Code 43....my rigged wiring may be at fault me thinks. There were 2 R/w stripe wires I removed from the ecu connection plug...might have gotten these crossed up. Is there a fuse for the speedo? It does do the full sweep at key on though.

You're the bomb me. Once the rain stops, I'll go check things out.

Just a quick update-got the speedo working. Apparently it was a wiring issue at the ecu connector. I had previously had a faulty connection in the connector itself so I pulled all the wires out of the connector. Long story short...the 2 R/W wires although they look the same must go back on their proper pin. The RW for the TPS was switched with the RW wire for the speedo. The 2 blk/Wt wires for grounding must be in their correct location as well. Now I've found a mystery BLK wire that I'm not sure where its home is. None of the wiring schematics show a BLK only wire included in the Grey connector block wiring set?