Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2009 Buell xb12ss Won't Start

sir: might i be so bold as to suggest something a bit more involved than an adjustment...but very satisfying and adds longevity to the push/pull cable assemblies. LUBE THEM BOTH!
    if done with a degree of patience and common sense there's no need to get under the airbox to the TB assembly. loosen the jam nut and roll the adjuster barrel on each cable clockwise to the max. count the turns on the pusher cable so you'll get right upon completion. now remove the 2 small torx holding the twistgrip/switchgear assembly and pull apart. remove 1 cable at a time...hold up in the air as high as possible....dribble 3-in-1 oil down the cable. take your time. typically 5 minutes per cable. now reassemble and tighten the pusher cable first in the amount of turns you previously counted. tighten jam nut. now adjust the puller cable till most all slack is gone according to your tastes. i remove virtually all slack then check it by starting motor and after some heat in it...turn bars lock-to-lock to be sure this movement doesn't affect idle speed. if it does, loosen the barrel accordingly and tighten jam nut.
    NOTE: if you have something like aerosal white lithium or similar light grease...spray some on the handlebar end between the end and the twist grip barrel. then spray an additional amount on each cable end....and reassemble the twistgrip/switchgear assembly. this gives a pleasant feel to the throttle action and helps prevent the cable ends from fraying at the twist grip barrel end.

So after getting frustrated I realized the new bar-end mirrors I put on are binding up against the throttle grip. Took one off and the throttle isn't getting stuck as before. So yeah. Now what? Do I have to trim off the end of the grip so it doesn't get bound by the bar-end mirror?
    bar end tweak.jpg
    bar end tweak2.jpg
    bar end tweak3.jpg

Thats what I would do.

Actually in my case, since I put Renthals on all of my XB's, I wind up filing down the nubs inside the controls, so I can just position the whole control wherever its needed to be.

Your bar end mirror looks a bit different than the usual eBay junk ones (that I buy)... where did you get yours?

34nineteen:
    Bikemaster from a local shop - Performance Cycle. Work really well. I can see everything in my blind spot and they don't shake at all. Kind of tricky to get them to hold in position. Had to play with tightening them down so they wouldn't come loose.

CONTINUATION OF THIS THREAD FROM BRIAN'S PM TO ME

Got to be honest John. I'm not confident I can get this right. The throttle was never great since I owned it. So, I'm thinking its current adjustment is wrong.

While idling, I can turn the handle bars full left and right with no response in idle. I assume that means the idle cable is good to go.

The throttle however seems really off. There's a 1/4 inch or more loose free play before it feels like the cable is engaging. Any further twist and the throttle seems really tight and will not roll back to first position by itself. I have to manually turn the throttle back.

On the dissemble instructions you gave - do I understand correctly that I can pull the inner cable all the way out? Do I need to disconnect the cable at the other end?

brian: whenever you change anything...and i mean any little thing...and then a characteristic of the bike that formally was not a problem is NOW a problem...check what you changed as the source. it always is.

on the twist grip questions: yes...if you can turn steering lock-to-lock with no change in engine speed then the puller cable is NOT too tight.

if you can turn the twist grip approx. 1/4 turn as you mentioned before the engine responds then the adjustment is WAY too loose. change it at the puller cable adjuster barrel after loosening the jam nut which on most XB's is the round thumb-wheel style nut.

if after doing all of the above and you still have "stichion" when twisting the throttle the problem lies either within the twistgrip assembly itself or at the throttle body....which is rare.
    hope all this helps.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12