Thread: 04 Lightning Hammer Build complete

04 Lightning Hammer Build complete

Good morning, it has been a while since I have posted. I spent time last summer repairing an 04 XB12R with the help of many on this forum. Thank you!

I recently picked up a basket case Buell in boxes and put the thing back together- 04 XB12S- K&N, D&D exhaust, Hammer 1275 kit, baro sensor with a tune from Buelltooth (open loop- 02 sensor reports but ECM is set so as it can not adjust lean). Heat cycles are done and it runs great so far.

My question: why would disabling the 02 sensor impact idling when the ECM can not respond to it? According to Dave at Buelltooth- he set it (the 02 sensor) up only to report signal.

More info: on initial start up, the bike would idle for up to 30 seconds then die (cough-sputter and die). The bike would then struggle to start. This repeated itself for two days. I reset the TPS each morning.

I was receiving 5 volts from the 02 sensor on the first startup. 0 volts on the second startup. Since the 02 was not reporting signal the 2nd day, I deselected it in exhaust setup (ECM Droid). And the bike started flawlessly ever since.

It runs a tad rich - which I am happy with until I get past the 500 mile mark. 218 lbs compression in the front and 200lbs in the rear.

Can you all provide me any thoughts?

One more detail- I replaced the 02 sensor on day 2 (I then reloaded the tune w the sensor reporting enabled) and still received 0 volt return to ECM. . I disabled the new sensor and the bike idled as it should.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Tim

If you are running in Open Loop, the ECM is just running on it's pre-programmed fuel map. It is unable to change any settings. Acts just like a carburetor.

The O2 is sending info to the ECM, but the ECM is ignoring it. A non-issue. You want it plugged in though so you can datalog its readings later and get a better base tune.

IMO, I would let the ECM make changes (run in Closed Loop) for several reasons.
    1) Its a new engine so its much more sensitive to too lean (detonation damage) or too rich (washing the rings that are trying to break-in).
    2) Even with the ECM running in Closed Loop, the correction factor is rudimentary (global change) and probably too narrow for a plug-n-play map for a 1275 kit, you can use the correction factor that the ECM is changing (EGO and AFV) to diagnose the changes in the tune you need to do.
    3) Once it runs ok, datalog with a wideband sensor, run it through Megalog viewer and it should spit out a map that is close enough to be inside the ECM's correction factor, then you're done Bob's your Uncle.

IMO, I would start with the Buell 'Race map' in Closed Loop and see what the ECM thinks it needs to do. It has all the information it needs to make good choices why not let it?

Exactly my thought Cooter referring to rich condition hampering ring seating. This is bad. Ring seal should take place real quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    .....Bob's your Uncle......
    Don't really know the guy but anythings possible...

Thank you everyone. What a week! 250 miles on the bike. It is running great so far. Plugs are clean and looking great- not too rich or lean.

I have purchased a Tunabuell and wide-band 02 sensor. As soon as the package arrives I will follow the suggestions.

I have always wanted a Bob for an uncle!

Next project: engine is out of my XB12R- 3rd gear skipping issue. I am guessing shift forks- but we shall see today once the egg gets cracked open.

What are my options for shift fork replacement?

It's more common to be worn dogs on that gearset. If they are really bad they will side load the fork and you'll see heat marks on the tongs.

You can either replace the gears or get them machined. R&D motorsports is a good resource for knowledge and machining, they did a great job for me
    (727) 447-4552

What about BOB? Great flick when you're on lockdown!

Thanks Cooter! Update- I found a used - Complete low mileage transmission on eBay - decided to roll the dice. Transmission is on its way- for cheaper than milk work.

Turned out was everything you had mentioned! Slipping over time had allowed the gear to wear well into the shift fork. A visible wear radius the shape of the gear wore into the fork.

Will update once it is back together. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by tukkayak View Post
    Good morning, it has been a while since I have posted. I spent time last summer repairing an 04 XB12R with the help of many on this forum. Thank you!

I recently picked up a basket case Buell in boxes and put the thing back together- 04 XB12S- K&N, D&D exhaust, Hammer 1275 kit, baro sensor with a tune from Buelltooth (open loop- 02 sensor reports but ECM is set so as it can not adjust lean). Heat cycles are done and it runs great so far.

My question: why would disabling the 02 sensor impact idling when the ECM can not respond to it? According to Dave at Buelltooth- he set it (the 02 sensor) up only to report signal.

More info: on initial start up, the bike would idle for up to 30 seconds then die (cough-sputter and die). The bike would then struggle to start. This repeated itself for two days. I reset the TPS each morning.

I was receiving 5 volts from the 02 sensor on the first startup. 0 volts on the second startup. Since the 02 was not reporting signal the 2nd day, I deselected it in exhaust setup (ECM Droid). And the bike started flawlessly ever since.

It runs a tad rich - which I am happy with until I get past the 500 mile mark. 218 lbs compression in the front and 200lbs in the rear.

Can you all provide me any thoughts?

One more detail- I replaced the 02 sensor on day 2 (I then reloaded the tune w the sensor reporting enabled) and still received 0 volt return to ECM. . I disabled the new sensor and the bike idled as it should.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Tim

I want to do a 1275 kit but can't find anyone to do a tune, would you be willing to copy and sell a copy of your tune to me? I would be willing to pay for it and wouldn't expect it for free

Quote Originally Posted by XB12Steve View Post
    I want to do a 1275 kit but can't find anyone to do a tune, would you be willing to copy and sell a copy of your tune to me? I would be willing to pay for it and wouldn't expect it for free
    I'd imagine IDS would do a tune for you.