Thread: My new bike (not motorcycle) toy.

My new bike (not motorcycle) toy.

Trust Message Fork!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 03-24-2020 at 03:49 AM.

Had to google what that is But dang! Badass
    Gotta be total transformation of the bike, congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Had to google what that is But dang! Badass
    Gotta be total transformation of the bike, congrats!
    The Fox Factory series fork is already a primo piece of equipment. This will be interesting. The feedback is that is behave differently that a typical telescoping fork, so I will need to re-learn how to ride again. I’ve heard there are positive and negative qualities of both.

Either way, it should be a fun time.

Plus the forum has been dragging lately, and I can only heckle you so much about the EBR. I figured Kona and Endo would get a kick out of this.

I hear ya man. I'm looking for pics to post
    The EBR is ready for action and all three of the next track days have been cancelled so theres no way for me to test the new 56* bank angle sensor.

I do have a Firebolt headlight I could mount and maybe fake some turn signals.... hmmmm....

I knew you were a weirdo. Just kidding, but real interested to hear how you like it compared to the fox factory. The linkage forks have some clear benefits based on their design principle for sure. At first I got trust confused with Lauf and I was about to make fun of you. I would really like to try one of those linkage forks some day. As head angles slack out more the linkage benefits really start to make more sense compared to a telescoping fork.

My 27.5" bike has a 160mm fox factory 36 fit 4. I hated that fork. It was either way to harsh high speed or it would just blow out in any kind of a g out on low speed compression. I could not find a way to get support in corners and transitions without it being harsh. I took the damper out and put in one from avalanche downhill racing. It is now amazing. I think the avalanche damper is similar to the kyb sss moto forks. I still wonder if the hsc/lsc version of the fox would have been better than the fit 4 but I could not be happier than with the avalanche damper.

My 29" hard tail had an ohlins rxf 36 on it. This was a pretty good fork but I put a cane creek helm air fork on it last year and I like it more. Lots of adjustability but I need to ride it more. I thought I would like having a hardtail again, not so much. I use it mostly to cruise around between breweries now.

Just built the lady friend a 29er with a dvo sapphire 32. I havent tried it yet but Im interested to try it out even if it is a small frame. I mean maybe I could just take her fork and run it on my hard tail for a day. DVO looks to be doing good things.

Make sure to update us on that new fork.
    Last edited by konarider94; 03-24-2020 at 01:40 PM.

This is going on my Pivot Trail 429. It will be interesting to see how it behaves for me. I’ve played with Lauf’s before and they’re cool and all, but I prefer a rigid fork on a bike like a hard tail where you would normally see a Lauf. My singlespeed is a full rigid 4130 steel pos that doesn’t even have disc tabs.

Speaking of being a weirdo, I often joke that “me and maybe 8 other people still ride 27.5+ wheels”.

I’ve found the Fox Factory stuff since around 2010 to be excellent. I wasn’t a fan of their earlier stuff and felt RS/Manitou did better. I especially liked Manitou as I could re-valve the ABS/ABS+ and TPC dampers to my liking. I also had good luck with Push revalving stuff as well. I guess Avy is the way to go now and have beard lots of good things about them, but haven’t tried them.

I think it’s funny that Ohlins is considered the holy grail of motorcycle suspension, but for MTB, it’s always “meh”.

It sounds like your 36 may have needed more progressivity from the air spring and maybe you were using the HSC circuit to compensate. You seem pretty knowledgeable about suspension tuning, so I’m going to guess you tried decreasing volume on the air spring? I’ve also found the Fox factory settings to be on the harsher side and have ramped them back for my riding in AZ.

Last edited by 34nineteen; 03-24-2020 at 05:32 PM.