Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My wannabe DIY muffler

My wannabe DIY muffler

Since LF Industries of Leola, PA never replied to my sponsorship request for a Hell Fire v4.0 Racing Super Turbo muffler, I had to go back to the drawing board.

So, I have cut up, gutted and cleaned out what was left of an XB9 muffler.
    The goal is basically to make a homage to the ever so popular Drummer with dual exhaust outlets.

The question is, what should I wrap the perforated core with?

Stainless steel wool
    Or
    Ceramic Wool

I found a place that makes exhaust grade versions of both. I know stainless steel wool is the old hot rodders trick and is the material of choice for Porter mufflers which I think sound very nice. However, that technology is getting close to 100! years old and may give the ceramic wool a shot.

Has anyone worked with both? Mike lowery offered to send me a bunch of magnesium chips to pack it with, but said it may run a bit hot? Hmmm...

Ok... discuss. Go!

Try titanium shavings, I hear that its an experience you won't forget! JK

Honestly I'd just pack in regular stuff. Drummers get nicely quiet with a deep rumble to them. The huge exhaust pulses of the high compression twin beat the material up but $12 a year for new stuff seems reasonable to me.

I have just done one myself just like a hawk exhaust.
    I can put up some pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by jdaniels View Post
    Yea Im curious how yours turned out.

Quote Originally Posted by jdaniels View Post
    Sure! Pics or it didnt happen, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Try titanium shavings, I hear that its an experience you won't forget! JK

Honestly I'd just pack in regular stuff. Drummers get nicely quiet with a deep rumble to them. The huge exhaust pulses of the high compression twin beat the material up but $12 a year for new stuff seems reasonable to me.
    The problem is that with what I have to work with at this point, the packing will not be serviceable. That is why I am going to lean towards something more durable than fiberglass. Porters packed with steel wool have been popular for awhile on domestic hot rods, and are damn near bullet proof. I was leaning that way until I discovered the whole ceramic wool thing. One issue to the steel wool setup is that it transfers heat to the outside of the muffler body and can make the pipe run hot, and the pipes are usually heavy. The ceramic wool appears to be more heat resistant, lighter and probably sounds similar to the 'glass packed muffler.

For me, Drummers tend to resonate in my helmet and give me a headache. I'm hoping that redirecting the exhaust flow and splitting it into two outlets will reduce/eliminate that. Kevin built me a "db-killer" for my old Drummer, and it did work to an extent, but not to the point I needed. I'm not saying the Drummer is a bad pipe. Its a great looking and well put together pipe, and Kevin is a good guy. It just wasn't for me.

https://steelwooldirect.com/ss-fiber-mat/

This product seems interesting, they might be a good point of contact to ask what they recommend at least. They have a range of products and even a website chat window. I dont have personal experience with any muffler packing except a 2 stroke fmf repack kit but thats just fiiberglass in a bag.

DSC_0558.jpg

I put up a real thread when i try it, it will take Another week or two.

Quote Originally Posted by konarider94 View Post
    https://steelwooldirect.com/ss-fiber-mat/

This product seems interesting, they might be a good point of contact to ask what they recommend at least. They have a range of products and even a website chat window. I dont have personal experience with any muffler packing except a 2 stroke fmf repack kit but thats just fiiberglass in a bag.
    This is who I am going to buy from.

Why would I want to ask the manufacturer about their own product when I have this handy forum? I thought that was the rule of working on motorcycles. Lol

Last edited by 34nineteen; 03-25-2020 at 07:03 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast