Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I swear I love Bimmers.

I swear I love Bimmers.

I'm SO BORED! I did some motorcycle research today and the results were SHOCKING to say the least. Heres the backstory...

I have an ongoing disagreement with a gentleman friend of mine who asserts that his method of buying a new GS1200 about every year or two, nets him a reduced cost of owning such a machine. His theory is that because he never lets them get old enough to need expensive repairs or maintenance, he saves that cost by buying a new one. He rides about 1000/miles a month so I did some calculating for him

Ahem! (grabs the pulpit and leans back)

He is an older gentleman with a good driving record, and buys a new 2014 Bimmer GS1250 for $21,167 (FYI, That is the cost, but doesn't get added to "the cost of ownership")
    Sales tax: $2113
    $2989 finance charge (no down, 60 mo, 5.29%)
    $1859 (17¢ PER MILE) in maintenance cost ONLY, in the first year!?
    https://www.cycleworld.com/2015/03/1...pecifications/
    Since that is only a tiny fraction of the actual cost of ownership I added it up!
    add in repairs they needed ($3173):
    Most owners (3.1 million miles averaged) got 43 MPG
    :http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/bmw/r1200gs
    so... 257.4 gallons of gas X $3.36 average price/gallon for regular gas in 2014 (The premium they require would be even higher)
    https://www.statista.com/statistics/...es-since-1990/
    $864.86 in gas.
    Insurance would vary dramatically but its fair to assume a clean record in a decent metropolis is ($100/mo) $1200.
    $4276 in depreciation:
    One set of Anakee dual sport tires installed $589
    I didn't add any modifications like crash bars, lights, GPS, phone mount, or the mandatory grey/hi viz pantsuit, silver suitcases, and 2 dozen Motorrad hats you must buy to fit in at Starbucks (That was for you LF)

That means in 2014 a BRAND NEW GS1200 would cost you $17,064 in the first 11,068 miles of ownership. $1.54 per mile, every mile, to run a brand new motorcycle??

It cost $1.59/mile in 2014 to run a freaking 53' long semi truck.
    https://www.ttnews.com/articles/cost...ri-report-says

The 2020 GS he just bought that started this conversation cost him "A little under $30K"

He can love his all he wants too, I think I'll keep my rattly old Buell

Did I mention I'm BORED??

As a small aside, none of his GS's have ever left him stranded. He has a current oil consumption issue he's battling and he does ride hard, but no off-roading. They have all been seriously AMAZING machines. They absolutely do NOT feel as heavy as they are and theres a reason they are the king of that segment of ADV bikes for so long now.

But he did buy a 2019 R9T to put in the garage because the last GS was sitting in the shop for maintenance two times when the weather was nice, so you can imagine he's not as cost-conscious (cheap) as I am. I still can't wait to send this to him! LOL.

Maybe I'll do a cost of ownership analysis for the Buell? I'd have to include all the pennies and Loctite 271 ain't cheap!

And I got a whole post done without mentioning the oil cap that needs a factory tool!

Oops

I think your better off just sitting at home a twiddling your thumbs.

A few years back, I went to buy a GS adventure bike when I went to sit on it, I couldn't even lift it off the side stand. They don't feel as heavy as they are, really ! I ended up with my Triumph explorer XC, I should have just went out and purchased a Ully.

I swear I love Bimmers. Also

IMG_1385.jpg

Hate to break it to you guys but if we are being pedantic the bikes are beamers, its the cars that are bimmers.

Im not going to check your math but I agree buying new and selling early is usually a great recipe for losing money. However he wants to justify it is up to him though. Who wouldn't want a new bike every couple years?

I've been eyeing the new rocket 3 but I did briefly look at the beamers. I don't like taking the EBR on long trips and its something Id like to do more of. The EBR is more fun on a half day long aggressive loop. I will put it in the back of the truck and drive it down to the North Georgia mountains to tear it up though.

Hey Kona, I'm a big fan of being pedantic, and I've been around BMW's all my life but I've never heard the beamer/bimmer distinction before? Is it like fuel/gas? wheel/rim? engine/motor?

NJ: That Triumph is a solid choice

The term beamer originated when BMW was only producing motorcycles. Bimmer came into play later on for car enthusiasts to differentiate themselves from the motorcycle crowd.

Silver...is that yours?

Quote Originally Posted by lancruza View Post
    Silver...is that yours?
    It is my sons, so I get ride it when he lets me, any time it is a great bike, I love the heated grips.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    Matt: nice call on your part and this is the 1st i've heard even a non-owner refer to a BMW motorcycle as a "bimmer".
    SuperCooter: i've learned years ago that you're not only a world-class bull**** artist...but a last-word freak as well. thank God you're relatively harmless and when you go on 1 of these keyboard rants, history dictates few if any take you seriously.
    just a few points of contention if you will:
    there is NO such thing as a 2014 BMW R1250GS.
    Bull**** artists such as yourself typically find both solace as well as self-enforcement thru repetition. this "oil cap" and "oil consumption" nonsense of yours first surfaced on 2-29-2020. clearly your fixation with both continues.
    other than aforementioned boredom on your part, no idea why you'd author a mini-novel regarding your friends' cycle purchases other than a quasi-pellucid and transpicuous attempt to, once again, slam BMW motorcycles. let him spend his money as he sees fit.
    Doubt you've ever owned a BMW boxer, though history dictates you'll retort with how many and when...all undocumented of course. They are some of the finest motorcycles for a multitude of reasons. many owners/riders do precisely what i have been doing since 1980 when i purchased my first: they buy lightly used....sensibly ride and maintain...then sell after several years of enjoyable trouble-free ownership for excellent money due to traditional BMW high resale values, particularly GS market values.

MY cases in point: 2007 R1200RT purchased from BMW of little rock, AR in 2008 for $12,500 with 2500 miles. sold october/2019 with 27,000 miles on it to local buyer for $6500 cash. do the math.

and my 1090 mile GS i just purchased from wealthy original owner up on Cape Cod for $11,000 cash. eight years from now it will still be worth $8000.

please stop with the ridiculous BMW nonsensical posts. they're making you look increasingly petty and foolish.
    LF: I quoted your post so you can't delete it, like you do when you're wrong, muahahaha But there is no need for name calling or to be mean.
    No one is talking about you.

I have ridden quite a few BMW's, but never actually owned one. Some day I'd like to restore an R75 We had 7 riders today going up Hwy 2 to Newcombs and then to the Rock Inn. 3 BMW's. Keith (GS) made coffee for everyone with his jetboil (Insert GS owner joke here, lol), and he is faster than me even on his TKC-70's! Joe rode his HP4 and Robert was on the R9T. Good crew and a great open ride #Great Virus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast