Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: xb12R engine swapped into xb12ss

Night time posting.... didn’t fell like editing my post 2 questions and 1 solution I just numbered them wrong.

I think VIN is on left side front cilinder, I dont think I can read them
    I looked at speedsensor they look the same, the only difference between the 2 engines I noticed is the name plate
    old one: lightning long XB12Ss, donor: Buell Firebolt
    I was looking at neutral switch and have bike on a stand, contact on then pump runs briefly, then noticed something odd that seems normal then? just reading squidbuelle
    confirming with turning wheel that gear was in neutral and no neutral light, it's not wiring it is the switch acting up
    I dont think that switch is a plain contact thing it measured a quite high resistance but does respond to in gearand in neutral. 240 k on old bike 40 k ohm I checked did not exchange yet
    ECM's are identical with same partnumber with 2 plugs and 1 spade and both say "for race only"
    where would peekhole be I was wondering
    Speed sensors look identical with 3 pronge triangle plug....................

I failed to say that indeed fuelpump comes on when turning wheel and that I found odd

That indicates you likely have at least one broken wire in the harness around the steering head. You may have more, and maybe one that is providing power to the ECM or the coil. I'd start there before tearing into anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    That indicates you likely have at least one broken wire in the harness around the steering head. You may have more, and maybe one that is providing power to the ECM or the coil. I'd start there before tearing into anything else.
    I think you misunderstood, if i ground wire by the neutral switch, neutral light comes on, so must be switch acting up, besides it was working before I started switching engines

my question at this point is; what does it mean that when turning wheel fuel pump gives a burst, speedsensor is working?
    I guess that means speedsensor is ok because engine is not turning when turning wheel in neutral

assume...I made a mistake Those plugs down by the neutral switch I thought they were all different when I plugged them together, now i see there are 2 3prong plugs one set is grey, 1 set is black....
    I plugged a grey one in a black and visa versa, I've GOT SPARK!
    going to put sparkplug back in and let you know what damage I've done

Hooray it started right up
    I bet squidbuellie new the answer but did not have a chance to respond, cause now I see that turning back wheel does not cause fuel pump to come on!
    I think that I swapped the speed sensor with the cam sensor by reversing the plugs, correct me if i am wrong
    Also changed the little wire between neutral switch and little plug and now neutral light comes on
    I've got a technical manual now as well, very much appreciated, thanks you guys
    Hope that engine is ok because it is still a gamble, the speedometer display was heavily damaged on donor bike and I came to the conclusion before, that mileage on engine is not stored in ECM. I put 15w40 diesel in this new engine and mobil 1 v-twin in gearbox and soon I am going to refresh engine oil again when I 've got a new oil filter as well as gearbox oil because it was looking like milk what came out, also I have to adjust the clutch still because I had to swap clutch cables because the cable from the donor bike was shorter and in that process little screw on clutch might be out of adjustment.
    My daughters bike had 34 000 km and crapped out I am not sure which was the most deadly cause, but engine oil was super black and low, fan stopped working on back cilinder and left air scoop was removed, but she could not wait to take it for a spin 2 days after she bought it. (also not ruled out that there was already a knock when she bought it, it was all so new for us)

Congrats!! Always feels nice to solve issues.

Very nice on the progress! Glad it's coming together

If the neutral light ends up not working again, the switch does get dirty inside, and can cause intermittent issues. It's possible to remove, press the button in, and clean it with carb cleaner

IMO, I would not try to out-think the oil the manual wants you to put in. The high compression twin needs thicker oil than the truck stuff. 20w-50 (V-twin specific) oil in the oil tank, and whatever matches the CLUTCH mfg's recommendations in the primary. If you're unsure of the brand of clutch, "Formula +" is HD oem. I find 20w-50 in the primary to make the clutch real grabby.YMMV

And in case you're new to Buells You check it leaning on the side stand, not level

Send pics!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast