Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Increase oil capacity?

Increase oil capacity?

04 XB12r, looking to increase oil capacity. Has anybody here added a small canister or an extra reservoir on the engine oil return line?

again? and why. Engine's not oil cooled.

I don't think stock oil volume is enough. I want to cycle more oil than the stock, 4 quart total capacity and allow for cleaner cooler oil flow.

Quote Originally Posted by outthere View Post
    Engine's not oil cooled.
    I know oil is technically just for lubrication, but it does work to dissipate heat no? That's why we have an oil cooler with its own little air scoop.

Theoretically if you had a 50 gallon drum of oil at room temperature circulating through the engine, that would certainly keep it cooler.

Now the specific question of whether more than 4 quarts of oil in a Buell is necessary I'll defer to more experienced folks.

File this under “if you have to ask, it’s already over your head”. Especially since it’s so easy to do.

I'm with this guy ^^^^

Just drill a #34 hole in the drain plug and replace the oil as necessary. If you get it just right you'll never have to change the oil again

On a serious note:
    No. Unless you go with Endos 50-gallon-drum-trailer-mod, there won't be any benefits that are even measurable.

Use a quality oil filter, quality V-twin specific oil, and change it at the mileage interval or at least once a year, Look for any wet spots under the bike or on the fan, check the level on the side stand after every other ride and don't think about it otherwise.

Buells are rock solid because they were made from rocks NO need to overthink something thats not a problem. You could use your free time and money to put on a '08-up oil cooler, breather mod, Right Side Scoop, ZTL-2 brake upgrade, rear hidden caliper mod, axle sliders, new plastics, levers, bars, seat, headlights, LED taillight, or start a: I heard it was free so how do I tune my Buell thread.
    Last edited by Cooter; 04-02-2020 at 05:37 PM.

You saying I should get rid of the Exxon Valdez I bungie corded to my back seat??? Was wondering why I kept popping wheelies!

After doing some reading, it turns out the benefit only comes after increasing capacity to 6 qts. Until you get to that point there is no difference in oil performance. The oil temp stays more consistent and sheds off excess heat better, frictional losses decrease slightly and there is no issue whatsoever of the oil coking at shutoff so the can really never runs. You do need to change out the scoops to the aftermarket larger scoops to keep the airflow higher than normal. Who knew?!?!?

I change oil at 1K on all my bikes, Oil is cheap insurance.

Royal.jpg

According to Buell, the rear cylinder supposedly gets enough air to cool it without the need for the regular or large right scoop? To me it does make sense to install the large right scoop.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast