View Poll Results: What color?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Leave it the hell alone, keep them stock!

6 60.00%
  • Bright ass orange.

0 0%
  • Shocker green.

4 40.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wheel color poll time.

Do what makes you happy. Mr. Buell himself didn't produce some of the best bikes (little biased) by following everyone elses lead.

I will say while some days I find myself personally more of a Buell purest and love things stock, every so often I like a little extra uniqueness. The bright colors are certainly unique but may get old quick. If you can afford to maybe keep a set of stockers and another more loud coloured set. If you choose powered coating just make sure you put in new bearings.

I really love the original translucent Orange but perhaps it's because I have a little bit of history with them! I got to travel to China to develop that color. It was VERY difficult to get a consistent thickness (especially between hand-operated powder application) on those wheels so if it was a few mil too thick, or thin, it would really effect the color...and therefore the match between front & back. A few mil too thin the color could look Green, too thick and they look Red. This color variance was exaggerated by the machined outer portion of the rim which bounces a spectrum of color. Other obstacles would be he geometries natural Faraday Cage in a few spots which would repel the powder. I remember the powder coat factory was super low quality, dust everywhere, and at one point during my tour the electric that controls the track went out. The operator had to just wiggle the extension cord a bit and they were back up & running! After the disturbing tour they showed us the fully automated, state-of-the-art, facility above that particular operation. It was clean enough to eat off the floor but we had to double our volumes before they fired it up! Lots of fun with them and I got a mild case of SARS, don't know if you recall that virus?!?! Good times and I LOVE that color

OMG Dan thats a funny and terrible story

I have a powdercoater buddy who is an absolute perfection fanatic. I had asked him about matching that color years ago and his answer was a "Hell no, not a chance to get it right" Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    OMG Dan thats a funny and terrible story

I have a powdercoater buddy who is an absolute perfection fanatic. I had asked him about matching that color years ago and his answer was a "Hell no, not a chance to get it right" Haha.
    Well, if it makes him feel any better let him know that facility looked like the floors were dirt, not concrete! I'm thinking it was just years of dust and powder build-up. If they pulled it off I'm betting he will, too!

Also, we did relax the "boundary samples" that I provide to them on my visit, meaning we relaxed our color match standards because we were rejecting so many that the supplier didn't want to work for us any longer! If you try matching front & rear while they're off the bike sitting directly next to each other you'll rarely have a "match"...but once mounted-up on your bike they look just fine. Sometimes things that aren't perfect have a life & quality all of their own

Stock here. But I'm OLD!

I was always convinced I was going to get a black/amber lightning, but when I saw my first cherry bomb that was that. Even still, black/amber is my next choice, partly because it harkens a bit of HD to me. It sucks how they treated buell, but my favorite part of the lightning is the sound, and how it complements the raw looks. If you're picking a completely new color, I always liked the black/green BMW Rockster combo. Almost snagged one of these when I was waiting for a good lightning to come up for sale.rockster.jpg

That’s a neat story about visiting the production facility back in the day.

Well decided on unmentioned option... melt your eyes highlighter yellow. A quick and dirty photoshop, but I always loved this color on the newer Yamaha streetbikes.

AA89525C-D254-4605-8BC2-F5449B7C57C9.jpg

Well the conclusion to this long and boring story... I found a brand new set of hero blue wheels for only $150 a wheel... still in the original boxes... jumped on it and now she has blue wheels that I was not even considering until I stumbled on them. Anyway, here she is.

40C4D086-1791-4D76-8E50-17A833328D42.jpg

23EF09DC-8453-4F21-9A38-533744AC8FAB.jpg

That color is called, "Nuclear Blue", one of Buell's all time classics! You done good, looks great!

Quote Originally Posted by Danthehitman View Post
    That color is called, "Nuclear Blue", one of Buell's all time classics! You done good, looks great!
    Thanks Dan, you guys came up with some truly awesome colors... might end up just collecting them all!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast