Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: xb9Rr Flywheel compatible w/ xb9sx?

xb9r Flywheel compatible w/ xb9sx?

A piston broke in my 2007 xb9sx and one of the connecting rods is bent. I need to replace my flywheel and am wondering if I can use a 2003-2007 xb9r flywheel to replace the original.

This the flywheel I'm looking at purchasing:https://www.ebay.com/itm/Buell-XB9R-...608?nav=SEARCH

I'm also going to get the nrhs 1050 big bore kit to replace the cylinders as one of the cylinders was damaged. Is there anything else that I should replace so I can have piece of mind once it's all out back together. Sidenote: a shop is doing these repairs.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Chicken Legs; 04-06-2020 at 07:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Legs View Post
    A piston broke in my 2007 xb9sx and one of the connecting rods is bent. I need to replace my flywheel and am wondering if I can use a 2003-2007 xb9r flywheel to replace the original.

This the flywheel I'm looking at purchasing:https://www.ebay.com/itm/Buell-XB9R-...608?nav=SEARCH

I'm also going to get the nrhs 1050 big bore kit to replace the cylinders as one of the cylinders was damaged. Is there anything else that I should replace so I can have piece of mind once it's all out back together. Sidenote: a shop is doing these repairs.

Thanks.
    Ouch! What the hell happened? Well, it seems like you are working with the right person (Dan @ NRHS). Have you discussed this with him? He has been doing this a long time and will give great advice while not trying to sell you what you don't need. I will buy my next engine kit from him, no questions asked.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Legs View Post

Thanks.

YES. but before you buy i'd suggest confirming with seller that in fact it is a 03-07 XB crank. have him measure the crank pin. should be 1.25 inches OD. an 08-10 crank will fit BUT the caveat is that you must swap to the later style complete alternator assembly and a few tidbits of hardware to make it work.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    Ouch! What the hell happened? Well, it seems like you are working with the right person (Dan @ NRHS). Have you discussed this with him? He has been doing this a long time and will give great advice while not trying to sell you what you don't need. I will buy my next engine kit from him, no questions asked.
    I'm in Mexico City right now, but I rode down from Seattle. My xb9 started to make a light rattle right around the same time that I painted the exhaust and put it back on the bike. I kind of thought it might have been the torca clamp on the exhaust because I reused it instead of replacing it. Then, 1000 miles later, the rattling suddenly got louder and the bike lost engine power on the highway.

I'm not exactly sure what caused the piston failure, but it seems like the 07s might be susceptible to crank/piston failure. http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buel...tml?1378945265
    The piston was broken and the connecting rod was bent.

Thanks for recommending that I speak with Dan about the issue. I messaged him and he gave me some good feedback.

Hello Lunaticfringe. Long time listener, first time caller.

Thanks for the detailed info on the part. I really want to swap over to an 08-10 crank, because I've read that it's way better than the 03-07 crank, but I want to keep the work I'm having done in Mexico to the minimum. I asked the seller to confirm the details of the part and got no reply, so I went with an 03 crank that seemed like it was in good condition.

How far south are you heading? Are you from Europe?

You might be better off to sticking to stock. The last thing you probably wanted was to get into the middle of a Buell engine mod project at a shop instead of riding.

There is a fun video series on YouTube about some people who drive a VW Bus from tip to tip of America (Chile to Alaska). They roached a few engines along the way and some of the conditions makes Cooters infamous roadside repair look like a factory job. Good watch if you have time, and it may help morale watching what these guys did.
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 04-09-2020 at 02:54 AM.

Seattle to Mexico city on an XB9? You Sir, get a tip of my cap

This is that video.

https://youtu.be/epRBdo7oPUY

But just the tip....😁

I'm from the states. I was going to go to Guatamala at the very least, but they closed their border due to Coronavirus. It's been a great trip so far and I'd definitely recommend Mexico and\or Baja to anyone who's considering it.

Thanks for the link.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast