Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost key dont know key code how do I remove the ignition?

Lost key dont know key code how do I remove the ignition?

I know, I know I should have made a copy. now i have my bike just sitting there with nowhere to go.

I figured the cheapest way is to bring the ignition to a locksmith.

I've searched quite a bit however no one has given a direct answer in regards to how to get the switch removed.

Anyone have anything?

Im pretty mechanical, however I dont want to start pulling things apart only to put them back together and get a locksmith to do a house call.

Thanks in advance

its for a 2003 buell XB9SX

If you go to an HD dealership, they can make you a copy with your VIN. I had to show my registration & ID for proof of ownership. But it took about a week and it was around $30 for a pair of factory replacement keys. After I used it once or twice, I found my originals.

This was 3 or 4 years ago for my 2004 XB12S, so I'm assuming it is still the same.

Yes, it works exactly the same today. Just got some for the Blast
    You can have a HD dealer look up your key code (with your Vin and registration) to just give you the code, but honestly its about the same cost no matter where you get the legit keys. $30-ish/pair

The ignition is behind your flyscreen, attached to your trip tree/headstock unit.

On another note... I have an extra ignition switch with keys that is brand new in a Buell oem box. I will sell it cheaper than a locksmith will charge. PM me if you’re interested.

Thats a great offer from a system that houses a rebel base

You will likely need a T45 security bit. You can usually get them at Home Depot.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Thats a great offer from a system that houses a rebel base
    Hey nerd, there was never a rebel base on Dagobah. That was where Yoda trained Luke. Sheesh!!! Damn millenial.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    You will likely need a T45 security bit. You can usually get them at Home Depot.
    Thats the right way ^^^
    But, you can probably find a flat head screwdriver that fits well, if it's a nice screwdriver the shaft has a hex on it, use a wrench to turn it. Those bolts are big but not very tight at all. The bolts with blank heads are security bolts and you can loosen them easily with a sharp chisel and a whack with a hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    Hey nerd, there was never a rebel base on Dagobah. That was where Yoda trained Luke. Sheesh!!! Damn millenial.
    Ouch! (hangs head in shame) Does that mean I have to give up my Death Star Ice ball molds?

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Thats the right way ^^^
    But, you can probably find a flat head screwdriver that fits well, if it's a nice screwdriver the shaft has a hex on it, use a wrench to turn it. Those bolts are big but not very tight at all. The bolts with blank heads are security bolts and you can loosen them easily with a sharp chisel and a whack with a hammer.
    You could... but why??? "Mr. I use a claw hammer and rock to change wheel bearings".

The socket is available from Home Depot individually for less than $5!!!!!

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-3-...ST45/202913550

heckling Cooter never seems to get old.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast